The mission of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the campus educational program and the student-athlete as an integral part of the student body. With this in mind, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program was created to support the student-athlete development initiatives of NCAA member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the context of higher education. CSUB is collaborating with the NCAA CHAMPS/Life Skills program to provide additional resources and support services to student-athletes. The CHAMPS/Life Skills Program was established to help student-athletes establish lifelong skills that will promote success while completing their educational program and life after education. It provides student-athletes with the opportunity to be involved in multiple areas on campus and focuses on five areas including Academic Excellence, Athletic Excellence, Personal Development, Career Development, and Community Service.
In the process of achieving this mission, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program will:
- Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Foster an environment that encourages student-athletes to effectively access campus resources.
- Encourage the development of character, integrity and leadership skills.