How To Get Started

STEP I:  Apply to CSUB

All prospective students must complete and submit an admissions application through CSUMentor. Indicate your veteran status in the Military Information section of the application.

Please refer to the Admissions and Aid section of the CSUB website for more information on the application process

STEP II:  Apply for VA Benefits

If you expect to enroll under educational benefits administered by the Veterans Administration you may apply on-line using the eBenefits website.  After completing the application, you will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” in the mail from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please submit this letter to CSUB’s School Certifying Official located in Admissions and Records.

  • Students applying for benefits for the first time should file the “Application for Veteran Benefits” (VA form 22-1990). 
  • Transfer students should file the “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” (VA form 22-1995).  

STEP III:  Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), electronically each year. The priority FAFSA filing date is March 2, and by applying by this deadline you will receive priority consideration for funds with limited allocations. Please note that CSUB's Federal School Code is 007993. You may also apply for scholarships.

To help you complete the financial aid process as quickly and smoothly as possible, be sure to reference the checklist that applies to you:

STEP IV:  Complete CSUB Admissions process

You will receive an email from CSUB Admissions and Records acknowledging receipt of your application, along with your specific CSUB ID number and login instructions to your myCSUB account. Pay particular attention to any outstanding "To-Do" list items that you need to complete and/or submit. Be sure to submit your DD-214 and military transcripts, such as AARTS, SMART, or CCAF. Admission to the University will be contingent upon meeting all eligibility requirements, as well as meeting all deadlines and documents to be submitted.

Transcripts and documents should be sent to:

CSU Bakersfield
Office of Admissions and Records, 47 SA
9001 Stockdale Hwy
Bakersfield, CA  93311

Check your admissions status online at myCSUB regularly for any updates. Once a decision is made, it will be reflected on your account.

STEP V:  Once Admitted, Assessment Tests and Orientation

Unless you are exempt due to prior scores on standardized tests (SAT or ACT) or previous qualifying college-level courses taken, all incoming students are required to take the Entry Level Mathematics test (ELM) and the English Placement Test (EPT) prior to orientation. You can log onto your myCSUB account and find your EPT/ELM status under the “Admissions” portion of the page. Visit our Testing Center website for testing dates and online registration.

It is mandatory that you sign up for and attend an orientation in order to familiarize yourself with CSUB.  In addition, you will meet with an advisor based on your major during orientation and you will register for classes.  Advising for students who are undecided about their major will also be available.

STEP VI:  Complete your Veterans Certification Request

Complete the Veterans Certification Request.  It is your responsibility to complete and submit this form every quarter to request VA educational benefits. Certification beyond this quarter is not automatic.  If you are eligible for educational benefits, your certification will be sent to the VA Muskogee Regional Office. It is mandatory to inform CSUB’s Certifying Official, within three (3) days, of any and all changes made to your course schedule.