Additional Information for Bachelor's Degree Candidates

Residency Requirement

All candidates for baccalaureate degrees from CSUB must complete a minimum of 30 semester units in residence at CSUB, of which 24 semester units must be earned in upper-division courses. At least 12 upper-division semester units must be in the major.

Graduation with Honors

The requirements for graduation with Honors are the following:

1. Completion of a minimum of 40 graded semester units in residence

2. A minimum of 3.30 grade point average in all units at CSUB

3. The overall grade point average for an undergraduate must be within the honor categories

Honors are awarded if the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) and CSUB GPA both reach the following standard:

  • 3.30 - 3.59 Cum Laude
  • 3.60 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
  • 3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude

The list of candidates for graduation with honors is based on all course work completed through fall term for the annual commencement in June. Final calculations for academic honors are based on all work completed through the last semester attended.

Address Changes

You must notify the Office of Admissions and Records with any changes to your mailing address after the Application for Graduation has been submitted. Failure to provide a current address may delay the response of the application and/or diploma.


Diplomas will be mailed within four to six weeks after the date of graduation, or within two weeks from the actual degree award date. If you want to pick up your diploma, indicate “pick-up” on your application for graduation. If you arrange for someone to pick up your diploma, he/she must have written authorization from you, and provide proper identification.

Proof of Graduation

Your official transcript with degree conferral date, not your diploma, is considered your official proof of graduation. Should you need proof of graduation for any reason before your diploma is released, you may fill out a Transcript Request Form and check “degree recorded” so your transcript will be released with degree conferral date.

Post-Graduate Study

Students wishing to continue taking classes after receiving a Bachelor's Degree must re-apply for admission to the university as a graduate student. Students may apply online at CalState Apply.

Office of Admission and Records

Student Services Building
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022

Phone:  (661) 654.2147
Fax:  (661) 654.3389