COVID Screening | Upload Vaccine Card | Submit Exemption | COVID-19

General Information for Veterans

California State University, Bakersfield is approved by the State of California as a training facility for veterans applying for VA benefits. The Office of Veterans Affairs provides services to veterans and dependents of veterans who are eligible for the VA Educational Benefits. These services include certification of enrollment for educational benefits; direct liaison between the University and the Veterans Administration Regional Office regarding underpayment, overpayment, or nonpayment of benefits; veteran’s work-study; and information concerning University services.

Applying for Benefits

Students expecting to enroll under educational benefits administered by the Veterans Administration may obtain application forms from the Office of Veterans Affairs or they may apply on-line at the Veterans On Line Application (VONAPP) web site.  Students applying for benefits for the first time should file the “Application for Veteran Benefits” (VA form 22-1990). 

Transfer students should file the “Request For Change of Program or Place of Training” (VA form 22-1995).  Returning CSUB students need only notify the Office of Veterans Affairs of their enrollment intentions. It is desirable that students make applications well in advance of anticipated enrollment to avoid unnecessary delays.

Course Load Levels

The University will certify the following course levels to the Veterans Administration:

  • Full Time: 12 or more units
  • 3/4 Time: 9 to 11.9 units
  • 1/2 Time: 6 to 8.9 units

Less than 1/2 time (1-5.9 units) will receive payment for tuition and fees only. Graduate students enrolled in graduate level courses (courses numbered 500-699), or courses acceptable by the particular curriculum department as work towards a Master’s degree, will have their course units weighted at a scale of 1.5.

VA Educational Benefits: Policies and Procedures

Students eligible for VA Educational Benefits must have all documents and transcripts pertaining to prior civilian or military training sent directly to the Admissions Office before a certification of eligibility can be sent to the VA. The Code of Federal Regulations requires a transfer evaluation of prior credit be completed and sent to the student and to the VA within two quarters after admission to the University. Failure to adhere to this regulation will result in the termination of educational benefits.

Students receiving VA Educational Benefits who have been placed on probation must raise their cumulative GPA to a 2.0 the following quarter. Students who remain on probation two consecutive quarters will run the risk of having their educational benefits terminated until they are taken off probation.

Students receiving VA Educational Benefits must be enrolled only in courses that lead to their declared educational objective (BA, BS, MA, MS, Credential, etc.). Cooperative Education courses may be taken only if the student is enrolled on a full-time basis.