COVID Screening | Upload Vaccine Card | Submit Exemption | COVID-19


Open All/Close All

I am an undergraduate at CSUB, am I allowed to take credential courses?

Undergraduate students are allowed to enroll in the prerequisite early field experience course and the foundational courses prior to program application or admission. Undergraduate students are allowed to enroll in credential program coursework upon admission to the credential program. For additional information: Multiple/Subject Program or Education Specialist Program 

Do all of the foundational courses need to be completed prior to Stage I?

The Early Field Experience/Intro to Education course including all foundational courses are required prior to program admission. These courses may be taken during your undergraduate program.

Can a Candidate waive Early Field Experience/Intro to Education?

The Early Field Experience/Intro to Education requirement can be waived if the minimum number of hours of experience have been completed in a classroom setting similar to the credential type you are seeking. A waiver form can be accessed here: Multiple/Subject or Special Education 

Do I need a Bachelors Degree?

You must have a Bachelor's Degree in order to be recommended for a California teaching credential.  However, you do not need to have a Bachelors' Degree to begin the credential program.  We offer several "blended" programs that allow you to complete your undergraduate degree and credential simultaneously.

What is the required GPA, and what GPA must be maintained throughout the credential program?

To be admitted into the Credential program the candidate must meet a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or the last 90 units of 2.75. An Exceptional admission will allow candidates to be admitted if they have met the university GPA requirement of 2.5 and demonstrate strong potential in other areas.

Executive Order 547, Title 5, Section 41101 requires all students to maintain a 3.0 GPA for ALL credential coursework or they will be disqualified from the program and/or will not be recommended for a credential.

How do I apply?

Applying to the credential program is a two-application process
1) Apply to the University at 
2) Apply to the appropriate credential program.  Program applications can be found at:

How much does the program cost?

To find out more, go to: Tuition Schedule

How long are my Fingerprint Clearance (COC) and TB valid?

COC - A fingerprint clearance is valid for 5 years from the issuance date. 

TB – A negative TB skin test is valid for 4 years and an X-ray exam is good for 2 years

To find out more, go to: How to obtain a Certificate of Clearance

What Credential do I need to become an elementary school teacher?

A Multiple Subject Teaching Credential is required to be an elementary school teacher in a public school setting.  This credential authorizes the teacher to teach all subjects to one group of students in a self-contained classroom.  It may also authorize teaching in a middle school.

What Credential do I need to become a junior high or high school teacher

A Single Subject Teaching Credential is required to be a junior high or high school teacher in a public school setting.  This credential authorizes the teacher to teach one subject to different groups of students in a departmentalized classroom in grades 12 and below.

What Credential do I need to become a Special Education Teacher?

An Education Specialist Credential is required to teach students with disabilities in a public-school setting. CSUB offers Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe education specialist preliminary credential programs.  Credential holders are authorized to teach children with disabilities in grades K-12 and in classes organized primarily for adults through age 22.

Can credential courses be taken out of sequence?

Courses are designed to be taken in sequence. However, depending on the campus you are attending some courses may be assigned in a different order.  You must follow your program plan of study approved by your program advisor.

What is Course Substitution?

A course substitution is when a candidate has taken a course at a different institution and believes it is equivalent to a course they are required to take. You must provide a copy of your transcripts, course description and course syllabus to your advisor for review.  

How Do I Meet Subject Matter Competency?

Subject Matter competency can be met by either 1) achieving a passing score on the appropriate subject matter examination or 2) completion of a Commission-approved subject matter program and obtain a verification waiver letter from the approved program department.

What is the Basic Skills Requirement?

This State requirement verifies basic skills proficiency and is required for program admission.  There are several options to meet this requirement.  The most common way is passage of CBEST. For a complete list of ways to demonstrate the Basic Skills Requirement, see the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing leaflet CL-667.

What is the CSET?

The California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) is the examination route to meet the subject matter competency requirement.  Subject matter competency is required for program admission.  Candidates must pass the appropriate exam associated with the credential they are seeking. Passing scores must be used for certification purposes within ten years of the passing date of each exam. Multiple Subject Competence by Exam (CL-674M) & Single Subject Competence by Exam (CL-674S).

To find out more, go to:

What is the RICA?

The Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) is designed to verify the knowledge and skills to provide effective reading instruction to children.  It is required to earn a California Preliminary Multiple Subject or Education Specialist Credential.  Passing scores must be used for certification purposes within ten years of the individual test date.

Where can I find more information about CSUB’s Credential Programs?

Information sessions are the best way to learn more about the credential program you are interested in attending.  You must attend an information session prior to admission.  Plan to attend a session at least one semester prior to applying to the program. Select a program page from the link below for information session dates.

To find out more, go to: CSUB Credential Programs

How do candidates apply for their preliminary credential?

Once you have successfully completed all program coursework, exams, and state requirements, you are eligible to apply for your preliminary credential. The preliminary credential application can be accessed on our Forms page.  Review the checklist and follow the instructions on the cover page of the application to upload your documents using the BOX link.  Depending on the volume of applications, processing time is approximately 4 – 6 weeks of receipt.  The Credential Analyst will evaluate and process your application in the order in which received. Applications will then be submitted to CTC via the online system for final recommendation.

What is an Intern and how can I become one?

An Intern Credential allows a candidate to complete the credential program while also employed as the teacher of record.  Intern Candidates are provided with support from both the university and the district.  Specific requirements and approval of the assignment are required.  Additional information and eligibility requirements in the Intern Informational Flyer.