COVID Screening | Upload Vaccine Card | Submit Exemption | COVID-19

Please see read this FAQ page for Basic Skills Requirements.

Open All/Close All

What type of Education Specialists credentials are available?

CSUB SPED program offers following education specialist credential programs.

  • Mild/Moderate Preliminary credential
  • Moderate/Severe Preliminary credential
  • Early Childhood Special Education Added Authorization
  • Integrated Teacher Education Program


What grades can I teach with a mild/moderate or moderate/severe education specialist credential?

Teachers with an education specialist credential can teach TK- 12th grade.

I want to teach pre-school. Is there an added authorization available at CSUB?

CSUB offers an Early Childhood Special Education Authorization program. Students with this added authorization can teach children from birth to 5 years of age. 

Does CSUB offer an intern track for Education Specialists?

Yes, CSUB offers both a traditional track as well as an intern track.

How do I know if I am an intern eligible?

Please contact the program Admissions Advisor for intern eligibility: Ms. Julia Bavier (Bakersfield campus, or Ms. Jenny St. George (Antelope Valley campus,

Where can I find program application forms for the SPED program?

I want to know more about special education program. Who should I contact?

Please contact the program Admissions Advisor;  Ms. Julia Bavier (Bakersfield campus, or Ms. Jenny St. George (Antelope Valley campus,

How do I apply for the Special Education program at CSUB?

This is a two-part application process.  You must apply to both the university and the program.

1) Apply to the University at:

2) Apply to the Special Education Program:

Are there any prerequisite classes I need to take before I apply for a special education credential program?

Yes, there are 3 prerequisite classes: EDSP 4800, EDSP 4260, EDEL 4100.

Can I waive the EDSP 4800 course?

If you have worked as a Substitute/Instructional Aide in a Special Education classroom, request an EDSP 4800 waiver request form from a program Admissions Advisor.

Where can I find information about the Special Education Program?

There are information sessions each semester. Information session dates and times are listed in the program website:   It is recommended that you attend an Information Session before you take the prerequisite classes.

How long is the Special Education credential program?

Every candidates’ individualized program includes 37 semester units of coursework in general education and special education. Candidates choose either the Mold/Moderate or Moderate/Severe preliminary credential program. Several courses can be applied to the Master's Degree program in Special Education.

What is the cost of tuition?

Is there Financial Aid available?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information: ,

Can I obtain English Learner and/or Autism Added Authorization?

CSUB SPED program does not offer a stand-alone authorization program for EL and Autism. EL and Autism authorization are embedded in the preliminary credential program.