COVID Screening | Upload Vaccine Card | Submit Exemption | COVID-19

RN-BSN Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 

Open All/Close All

Why get a BSN?

A BSN offers you a wider variety of job possibilities. You will be eligible to apply for the Public Health Nursing Certificate. This certification permits you to work in a public health department. You are also eligible for management positions and can begin working as a school nurse. A basic knowledge of nursing theory and research methods as well as community health nursing set the BSN graduate apart. You will also gain a deeper understanding of Pathophysiology which will be invaluable in your clinical setting.

How do I prepare for the RN to BSN Program?

Complete the following requirements to prepare for the RN to BSN and CSU, Bakersfield transfer prior to entering CSUB:

  1. General Education:

    CSU Transfer General Education Breadth: Students should meet with their community college Counselor or Advisor and follow the GE Certification for Transfer to CSU in the current community college catalog. CSU General Education Transfer Areas "A" through "D" and the American Institutions (U.S. History & Political Science) requirements should be met prior to transferring. For a list of specific courses, please visit the Roadmaps website.

  2. Nursing Prerequisites (8 total): Students must have official (sealed) transcripts showing completion of all of the following prerequisites within the last ten years in their completed application packet:

    1. Anatomy including a laboratory (3 semester units). May be combined with Physiology as 10 quarter units or 6 semester units.
    2. Physiology including a laboratory (4 semester units).
    3. Microbiology (3 semester units).
    4. Chemistry (general, integrated, inorganic, or organic) with or without lab, as it is taught on the campus where the course was taken.
    5. Statistics (3 semester units).
    6. English (3 semester units).
    7. Public Speaking (3 semester units).
    8. Critical Thinking (3 semester units.)
  3. ADN

    • Ccomplete the ADN (AS in Nursing) from an accredited junior or private college.

What is the mode of instruction for this program?

All lecture courses are online. You will need a computer with Internet access to use the course. Students generally will only need to come to campus for the on-campus Nursing Orientation, Spring Clinical Orientation, to possibly take courses satisfying Upper-Division, and to take the GWAR exam (online course may be an alternative to this option). 

Antelope Valley Students: Antelope Valley students may visit the CSU Bakersfield Antelope Valley satellite campus to complete the Upper-Division General Education requirements, and GWAR (all may be done at this location except the Nursing Orientation and Spring Clinical Orientation).

When do I complete my Clinical Requirements and how many hours are needed

Clinicals will be completed during the Spring Semester (January -May) during the following course: Nursing 4221: Community & Public Health Nursing (Practicum)

You will need to complete a total of 135 on-site clinical hours 

Where are Clinical Placements?

Clinical placements for the Community & Public Health Practicum will only be available in Kern County, unless specific arrangements are made through faculty.   

What are the criteria for admission to CSUB RN to BSN Program?

Please see the Eligibility Requirements for detailed information.

Can I transfer foreign credits to CSUB?

RN to BSN Foreign Credit Policy 

Applicants with nursing courses from a foreign university must have a course-by-course evaluation completed by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).
Applicants with general education courses from a foreign university must have a completed course-by-course evaluation.

1. Nursing Coursework

    • Contact the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Programs (CGFNS) (215) 349-8767 or
    • Submit an official copy of this evaluation with your RN to BSN Program application through NursingCAS

2. Non-Nursing Coursework

Please include all original foreign transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Records upon submitting the Cal State Apply Application. 

What are the steps to apply to the RN-BSN Program?

Please see the Apply Now  Section on our Website

Why isn't the RN-BSN Program Appearing on Cal State Apply?

When creating your Cal State Apply account, ensure that your response to question four is 'NO' if you are a current United States Resident.

CSUApply International

Does my ADN Degree qualify for an AS-T or AA-T?

No, your ADN Degree does not qualify for an AS-T or AA-T. If you are in Cal State Apply, please choose the following options: 

Undergrad Transfer

Can I apply as a Post-Bacc or 2nd Bachelor's student?

Yes, the RN-BSN program allows post-baccalaureate or those seeking a 2nd bachelor's degree to apply.  

1. For Cal State Apply, you will need to choose "Second Bachelor's Degree" (See picture below)

Post Bacc

2. Make sure that you turn in your transcripts from your 1st bachelors degree.  If your degree is from abroad, please look at Question 7 for the process to have these transcripts evaluated. 

Who can I contact for additional information?

You may contact the Program Advisor. See contact information in the "Advising" page.

You can request to make a phone or in person appointment for Pre-RN-BSN Program Advising. 

Please see the RN-BSN Brochure for more information 

What do I do if I'm on the wait list?

We will notify you if you are accepted off of the wait list into the program. This can happen as late as a week before classes begin. There is nothing you can do other than wait to hear from us.