Your Phone

Your Phone is connected to our campus telephone network.  This network is owned, operated, and maintained by our campus.  Depending on your phone setup, you can place local, long-distance, and international phone calls.  To place calls from the campus network, just dial the last four digits of the desired person’s phone number.  To place call off campus, you must dial a 9 first. For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Useful Links

Phone Guide
Hearing Impaired Access

Frequently Asked Questions

Open All/Close All

How do I place a call to someone on campus?

To place calls on the campus network, just dial the last four digits of the desired person’s phone number.

How do I place a local call or a call within the 661 area code?

To place  local calls and calls within the 661 area code, just dial 9 followed by the seven-digit telephone number.

How do I place long distance, international, or credit card call?

Long distance calls
Dial 9, 1, the area code, and the seven-digit telephone number

International calls
Dial 9, 011, country code, city code, and telephone number
* Most campus telephones are restricted and do not have this capability.

Credit Card Calls
Dial 9, followed by 0, the area code, and number. When you hear a tone, key in your credit card number

How does the campus handle collect or third-party calls?

The university operator will not accept collect calls.  Third-party calls, such as calls placed from an off-campus telephone number and charged to one of our campus phones, are not permitted

What is the prefix for the Bakersfield and Antelope Valley campuses?

The prefix for a Bakersfield Campus extension is 654. The prefix for an extension for the Antelope Valley Branch Campus is 952.

Why am I unable to place certain types of calls?

Each telephone is assigned a class of service (COS) to determine the type of calls that may be made from that phone. Class of service is programmed as directed by the department requesting phone installation.

Class of Service

  • COS 11 - Place Campus calls only.
  • COS 12 - Campus, Local, & Area Code 661.
  • COS 13 - Campus, Local, & Long Distance.
  • COS 14 - All of the above & International.

Who do I contact if I have a problem with my phone?

If you are experiencing issues or other unexpected occurrences with your telephone, please report the trouble to the Help Desk at 654-2307.   When reporting information, please include the following:

  • Person’s name and number experiencing the trouble
  • Type of phone, i.e. ITE 12 SD
  • Location of the phone including building and room number
  • Alternate contact person and phone number
  • And a brief description of the trouble.

How do I add, move, or change my telephone functionality?

The telecommunications department is responsible for any modifications to your telephone services.  These modifications include adding, moving, or changing telephones or telephone functionality.  To request a modification, you will need to:

  • Have permission from your department director, the department chairperson, the dean of your school, or by their designated contact person.
  • Allow a two-week lead-time for all modifications: adds, moves, and changes.
  • Submit a written request by memo, email, or fax
  • Provide justification, the request is for all new telephone services

How do I get training on my telephone?

By request, the Telecommunications department will provide training on the use of your telephone or voice mail system.  Please call the Help Desk at 654-2307 to make an appointment for a workshop or to ask questions regarding your phone or voicemail. Additionally, you may find our Telephone Guide handy, as it covers common telephone functions.


Phone: 661-654-2307
Web: Request Help
Location: Walter Stiern Library, Room 15

To find out more, go to: Help Desk