Resources for Undocumented Students

This space has been designed to provide information to new and current students who are seeking information about AB540 eligibility as well as for faculty and staff who advise AB540 students regarding eligibility and available resources. We hope you will find this information helpful, informative and a valuable resource in promoting educational opportunities for all students.


The California Dream Act allows eligible undocumented student to receive California State sponsored financial aid. Authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), it became law in 2011 through the passage of two Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131.

AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant.


AB 540 students may be students who are U.S. citizens, but who are not CA residents or students who are undocumented.

You are an AB 540 eligible student if meet all of the following requirements:

  • Attended a CA high school for 3 or more years (9th grade counts);
  • Graduated (or will graduate) from a CA high school or the equivalent (GED or a Certificate of Proficiency);
  • Must register or is currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California;
  • Must sign the California Nonresident Exemption Request, which states that all the requirements for AB 540 status have been met, and if you are undocumented, are in the process of adjusting your immigration status (or will do so as soon as you are eligible)


Students with nonimmigrant visas, (including, but not limited to any of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T*, TN/TD, TWOV, U*, and NATO) are not eligible for this exemption.

  • *Except for holders of T and U visas: UC policy permits T and U visa holders with approved I-485 applications who meet the requirements described above to be exempt from nonresident supplemental tuition until they are eligible to establish California residency according to UC policy.

DACA students who do not meet the AB 540 tuition requirements, listed above, will not be eligible for the exemption.


AB540 requires that state colleges and universities keep student information confidential. A student's immigration status cannot and will not be reported to immigration officials or any other third party.


A helpful booklet that is compiled of need to know information for undocumented students.

Resources for Undocumented Students booklet

Financial Aid

For Financial Aid information, please visit CSUB's Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship

Contact Information

Claudia Catota
Chief Diversity Officer & Special Assistant to the President