University Grading

California State University, Bakersfield uses the standard 4.0 point scale to determine grades and grade point average (GPA). The values for each letter grade, as well as additional grading symbols, are explained below. 



































Withdrawal: This symbol indicates that the student was permitted to drop the course after the third full week of classes. A course with a “W” grade is not counted as work attempted. It carries no connotation of quality of student’s performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points. Withdrawals after the third week of classes and prior to the last three weeks of classes are permissible only for serious and compelling reasons.



Credit/No Credit: These symbols are used in courses where letter grades are not deemed appropriate. A student desiring to enroll in a course on an optional credit, no-credit basis must obtain from the Records Office the appropriate form, which requires the advisor’s signature and, if a student is requesting permission to take more than one course in a single term on an optional credit, no-credit basis, the signature of the appropriate school dean. Students may change their enrollment among credit, no-credit grading and letter grading up to census date which is the 15th instructional day. A grade of “CR” is awarded for work equivalent to a C or better; the grade “NC” is awarded for the grade of C- or below. Courses taken on an optional credit, no-credit basis may not be counted toward the major or minor, concentration, or cognate requirements for graduation. Credit, no-credit registration is also used for all students enrolled in most courses numbered 0-99, not counting toward graduation, and in some special courses such as Music 423, Individual Instruction, where letter grades are not deemed appropriate. Ten units of credit, no-credit course work can be used in meeting the general education requirements. Up to a maximum of 45 units of credit, no-credit course work completed at CSUB may be counted toward a baccalaureate.



Report Delayed: An assigned grade has not been submitted by the appropriate instructor of the course. Check with the instructor of the specific course for grade.



Audit: Admitted students may file a request with the Office of Admissions and Records to audit a course. An auditor does not receive baccalaureate credit for the audited course. Auditors pay the same registration fees as other students and may not change their registration to obtain credit after the last day to add a course. Likewise, students registered for credit may not change to audit status after the last day to add a class. Auditors are not permitted to take examinations in the course. A grade of “AU” for an audited course is posted on a student’s permanent record if, in the opinion of the instructor, the student has attended enough class meetings to receive a grade of “AU”; otherwise, a “W” is recorded.



Report in Progress (formerly SP - Satisfactory Progress): The “RP” symbol is used in connection with courses, such as the master’s thesis and certain modularized courses, which may be designed to extend beyond one academic term. The symbol indicates that work in progress has been evaluated as satisfactory to date but that the assignment of a precise grade must await the completion of additional course work. Cumulative enrollment in units attempted may not exceed the total number applicable to the student’s educational objective. Work is to be completed within a stipulated time period. This may not exceed one year except for graduate degree theses, for which the time may be up to two years but may not exceed the overall time limit for completion of all master’s degree requirements. Any extension of time limit must receive prior authorization by the appropriate school dean.



Incomplete: This symbol is recorded when a student has been doing satisfactory work in a course, but for unforeseen reasons judged appropriate by the instructor should be permitted additional time to complete the requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the instructor and to reach agreement on the means by which the remaining course requirements will be satisfied. The instructor will submit an Incomplete Notice, and the symbol “I” will be entered on the student’s permanent record. A final grade is assigned upon completion and evaluation of the work agreed upon. Each incomplete grade must be replaced by the end of the subsequent term unless the instructor has set an earlier date or submits an Extension of Incomplete form setting a later date and stating the reasons for extending the time. An extension is to be no more than a year from the end of the term in which the Incomplete was incurred. Students may not remove an Incomplete by re-enrolling in the course. An Incomplete remaining on the student’s permanent university record or transcripts from other institutions after the expiration of the time limit for removal will automatically become an “F” or an “NC” and be counted as such in determining grade point averages and progress points. If a student subsequently completes a course which is recorded as Incomplete on a transcript from another institution, it is the student’s responsibility to submit a corrected official transcript and to make the request for credit from the Office of Admissions. Incompletes earned in summer session must be completed in the next quarter of resident study.



Incomplete Charged: Indicates a student has not completed the required course work within the allowed time limit. It is counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation



Withdrawal Unauthorized (formerly U - Unauthorized Incomplete):
The symbol “WU” indicates that an enrolled student did not withdraw from the course and failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average and progress point computation this symbol is equivalent to an “F”.

Office of the Registrar

Student Services Building
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022

Phone:  (661) 654-3036
Fax:  (661) 654-3389

Enrollment Management