Alerts: COVID-19 | Return to Campus | CARES Act


The Office of Admissions and Records is responsible for determining the residency status of California State University, Bakersfield applicants and students for CSU tuition purposes. This determination is based on information supplied in the CSU Admission application, Residence Questionnaire, and, as necessary, other evidence furnished by the student. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for California resident classification will be classified as a non-resident for CSU tuition purposes. For more information, please refer to the Campus Catalog, p. 35, and the CSU Office of the Chancellor Residency webpage.

Open All/Close All

Changes to Residency Status

It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Admissions and Records of any changes in residency status. This includes changes from non-resident to resident and from resident to non-resident. Resident students who become non-residents, or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception, must immediately notify the Office of Admissions and Records.

If you are incorrectly classified as a resident or incorrectly granted an exception from non-resident tuition, you are subject to reclassification as a non-resident and payment of non-resident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, you are subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

Changes may be made in the rate of nonresident tuition and in the statutes and regulations governing California residence for tuition purposes between the time this information is published and the relevant residence determination date. You are urged to review the following statutes and regulations: California Education Code sections 68000-68090, 68120-68134, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900-41916.

What should I do if I think my residence status is incorrect?

Refer to your checklist on your mycsub.  If you have not submitted all of the requested documents to establish your residency, you will be classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes.  If there are no items on your checklist, contact the Office of Admissions and Records.    

Determination of California Residency for Tuition Purposes

The law governing California residency for tuition purposes at the California State University is established by State Law and the California Code of Regulations. Despite the length of time you attend a California State University or live in California, you might not qualify for California residency for tuition purposes. CSUB cannot alter or waive the eligibility criteria for any reason.

The term “California resident” for tuition purposes may differ from other definitions of California residency. A person who has a California driver’s license, vehicle registration, or who is a California resident for tax, voting, or welfare purposes may have established legal residence in the state but might not necessarily be considered a resident for tuition purposes. Under California law, CSUB must determine the residence status of all new and returning students. 

How can I establish California residency?

To establish residence in California for tuition purposes, you must have been a legal resident and physically present in the state for at least one full year prior to the residence determination date.


September 20


January 25


June 1

Also, you must have intended to remain in California indefinitely for at least one full year prior to the residence determination date.  Simply living in California or attending CSUB for one year is not sufficient to fulfill the requirements.  If you are under the age of 19, you cannot establish residency on your own; you derive your status from your parent or legal guardian’s residence.

Exceptions to Determining Residency - California Dream Act - AB 540/ AB 2000

If you do not meet California residency requirements, but you graduated from a California high school, you may be eligible to have your non-resident tuition fee waived.

To apply for this exemption, submit the California Non-resident Tuition Exemption Request, commonly known as AB 540, along with an official copy of your high school transcript, to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Exceptions to Determining Residency - Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

CSUB is part of the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE).  Students who participate in this program have reduced non-resident tuition fees.  Whereas non-resident tuition is $396 per unit in addition to mandatory fees, WUE tuition fees are 150% of the California resident tuition fees. 

To qualify for this program, you must be a resident from: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.  You must also maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 units) and good academic standing with a minimum 2.50 GPA.  Students who are majoring in nursing are not eligible to participate in WUE.                 

While participating in WUE, students are not eligible for California resident tuition.  Students cannot apply time accrued while participating in the WUE program to establish California residency.  Students may participate in WUE for 5 years or until completion of the bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. 

To apply for this program, submit the Western Undergraduate Exchange Contract to the Office of Admissions and Records.


Office of Admissions and Records

California State University, Bakersfield
Office of Admissions and Records
Division of Enrollment Management
Student Services Building, 47SA
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022

Phone: (661) 654-3036
Fax:  (661) 654-3389


Office Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM