Alerts: COVID-19 | Return to Campus | CARES Act

Frequently Asked Questions - Transfer Students

Open All/Close All

Is there a deadline to apply?

Students are encouraged to apply early during the initial application filing period. The initial application filing periods for first-time freshman and transfer applicants are October 1st - November 30th of the previous year for fall semester and August 1st - 31st of the previous year for spring semester.

What happens after I submit my application?

After your application is submitted, you should receive a confirmation email indicating the receipt of your application. In approximately two weeks, you should receive an acknowledgment e-mail that will provide you with a unique applicant ID number and information to log on to the one-stop student portal called myCSUB. This information is sent to the email address you provided on your application, so it is very important that it is current. You are expected to track the status of the submitted application and the receipt of all required documents using this online tracking system.

How do I log into my myCSUB?

Your net ID is the first initial of your first name and your full last name; for example, jsmith. If you have a common last name you may have a number behind your last name- there is a link on the myCSUB website that allows you to enter your CSUB ID number and last name and it will generate your net ID.

What about official transcripts and other documents?

We must receive your official transcripts from all previously attended institutions to determine transfer eligibility for admission. Transcripts submitted via hard copy must be sealed in a envelope. Other documents may include General Education Certification, Test Scores, Residency Questionnaire, immigration documents such as a permanent resident card, or proof of California residency. 

What if I attended more than one institution?

You are required to submit official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. Request your official transcript from each institution you have attended to be sent to the CSUB Office of Admissions and Records.

How do I qualify as an AA-T or AS-T transfer student?

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (SB 1440/Padilla) establishes a transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree for California Community College student and is designed to provide a clear pathway to the CSU degree major. If you plan to earn either Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) for transfer from one of the California Community Colleges, you must indicate so on your application on Cal State Apply. The Verification of Intent to Earn AS-T/AA-T Transfer Degree form will assist us in identifying applications which may be eligible to receive priority consideration for admission. 

How will CSUB verify my AA-T/AS-T status?

If you earn AA-T/AS-T from a California Community College, you are responsible for submitting final official transcripts showing completion of AA-T or AS-T by the appropriate deadline outlined in the following section.

Once admitted, when should I send my final official transcripts and other documents?

Please see the chart below for deadlines by which CSUB needs to receive your final transcripts and other documents including General Education Certification, if applicable.

Deadlines Chart

If you are admitted for

Final official transcript(s) and/or other supporting documents must be received by

Fall Semester

July 15

Spring Semester

January 14 (Important: Submit current and/or in-progress transcripts as soon as you have applied to the university)

Important note: Your admission and/or registration may be cancelled if your final official transcripts are not received by the Office of Admissions and Records by the appropriate deadline above.

What about standardized test scores?

Depending on your eligibility index from high school, test scores from the SAT I or ACT may be necessary and should be directed to California State University, Bakersfield. Use school code 4110 for the SAT test and 0201 for the ACT test. For more information on these tests, visit the College Board website at www.collegeboard.orgor ACT website at

When will I know if you received my application?

You will receive an e-mail notification from the CSUB acknowledging the receipt of your application along with your specific CSUB ID number and instructions on how to log into myCSUB. This information will be sent to the email address you provided on your application so it is very important that the email address you provide is accurate and current. In approximately two weeks after this notice, you should log onto your myCSUB account and check your application status and outstanding "To-do" list. We recommend that you check your To-do list on myCSUB regularly.

When will I be notified of my admission status?

If your application file is complete with all supporting documents received and evaluated, your status will be reflected on myCSUB. Be sure to monitor your "To-Do" list regularly even after you have been admitted; there may be additional documents or requirements you will need to submit.

What is General Education Certification?

In order to receive credits for all lower division General Education at CSUB, transfer applicants from California Community Colleges should submit a General Education Certification approved by Counseling/Advising Department. Check with your community college counselor for more information.

How do I know what courses transfer to CSUB from other schools?

Generally, college-level courses completed at regionally-accredited institutions will transfer.

ASSIST provides information about receiving credit at a California public university for courses completed at a California Community College and applying those courses toward your academic goals when you transfer from a California Community College to a CSU or UC campus. Students are encouraged to visit to help determine what courses articulate and/or transfer from your previous school.

How many credits can I transfer?

Students transferring from community colleges may transfer a maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units of credit. Students transferring from a 4-year institution may transfer a maximum of 94 semester (141 quarter) units of credit.

When can I expect to see my transfer credit evaluation?

Admitted students with college or university credits can access their preliminary transfer credit evaluation on myCSUB prior to the start of term. This evaluation shows how courses completed at other institutions transfer to CSUB.

I've been admitted to CSUB. What's next?

If you have been offered admission to the University, congratulations! Click on Admitted Students to see what your next steps are.

Office of Admissions and Records

Student Services Building
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022

Phone:  (661) 654-3036
Fax:  (661) 654-3389

Enrollment Management