Alert: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Frequently Asked Questions - Graduate Students

Open All/Close All

I've recently graduated from CSUB. Do I need to reapply to enter a post-baccalaureate or graduate program?

You must reapply to the university just like a new student. You must complete a graduate application and submit appropriate supporting documentation such as transcripts if necessary. There are several ways to apply to CSUB. We encourage you to apply to CSUB by visiting Cal State Apply.

If you do not have access to the Internet, you may request an admissions application packet be sent to you. Just call the University Graduate Student Center office at (661) 654-2786 or e-mail at and let them know you need a graduate application sent to you. If you are graduating as an undergraduate student and wish to continue for the subsequent quarter, you are highly encouraged to apply early to facilitate your course registration for next term. You must still meet the admission requirements of the university and the program you are seeking.

The application fee requires a non refundable $55.00 filing fee payable at the time the application for admission on Cal State Apply is submitted. If a hard-copy application is submitted the $55.00 fee must accompany the application.

Is there a deadline to apply?

Graduate and post-baccalaureate programs at California State University, Bakersfield may have varying filing deadlines for graduate students. However, submitting your application early is strongly encouraged so you can take advantage of any other requirements such as placements tests, entrance exams, etc. you may need to fulfill before the term begins. Also, make sure to check with the specific graduate department you are pursuing for any deadlines they may have.

What transcripts or other previous institutional records will I need to submit?

Transcripts will be required of all institutions attended in order to determine graduate eligibility and admission. Transcripts may be enclosed with your application, however they must be sealed in a separate envelope. Transcripts may also be sent electronically from the institution(s) previously attended or sent from a transcript servicing services to Transcripts sent from personal email accounts are not accepted. Other documents may include a residency questionnaire, immigration documents, or proof of California residency. 

For non U.S. applicants, please submit an official translation of transcripts. Please submit foreign transcripts in the original language accompanied by a certified English translation. Foreign transcripts must be professionally evaluated by a reputable company. A suggested list of companies that evaluate foreign transcripts is found at:
Three year degrees from India are generally not considered the equivalent of a four year degree from the U.S. Exceptions would be degrees in areas such as science and engineering. For additional information regarding foreign student requirements, please contact the Director of International Students and Programs, at (661) 654-6113.

Office of Admissions and Records

Student Services Building
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022

Phone:  (661) 654-3036
Fax:  (661) 654-3389

Academic Advising and Resource Center

Phone: (661) 654-2700