Alert: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Open All/Close All

What is deadline to turn in the CR/NC Form for Spring 2020?

If you wish to opt for the CR/NC grade option for one or more of your courses for Spring 2020, you must complete and sign the required Credit/No Credit Grading Request Form and email it to by May 1, 2020.

Is it possible for me to change my course grading option to credit/no credit (CR/NC) for Spring 2020?

In some cases, yes. Per the University Catalog, A student desiring to enroll in a course on an optional credit/no credit basis must obtain the appropriate form from the Records Office (SA 103, 661-654-3036). This form requires the advisor’s signature and, if a student is requesting permission to take more than one course in a single term on an optional credit/no-credit basis, the signature of the appropriate School Dean. Students may change their enrollment among optional credit/no-credit grading and letter grading up to the 15th instructional day (Census Day). A grade of “CR” will be awarded for work of “C” (2.0) or better; the grade “NC” will be awarded for the grade of “C-” (1.7) or below.

Please note that not all courses are eligible for the CR/NC grade option.

Which courses are not eligible for the CR/NC grade option?

Courses taken on an optional credit/no-credit grade basis may not be counted toward major, minor, concentration, or cognate requirements for the baccalaureate degree. Six units of optional credit/no-credit course work can be used in meeting the General Education requirements. In addition, many academic programs require letter grades for graduate and professional school admission and/or external licensure and certification. If you have questions about whether your courses require letter grades, please send an email to .

Will a CR/NC grade option affect my Academic Standing, Graduation with Honors and Dean's List?

• An undergraduate student must have completed at least 40 letter graded units of resident credit at CSUB to be eligible for graduation with honors. Honors are awarded if the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) and CSUB GPA both reach the following standard:

  • GPA 3.3 - 3.59........... Cum Laude
  • GPA 3.6 - 3.89........... Magna Cum Laude
  • GPA 3.9 - 4.0............. Summa Cum Laude

• A full-time, undergraduate student, carrying at least six (6) units of letter-graded work during the semester, who earns a GPA of 3.25 or above in that semester will be placed on the Dean’s List.

• Good Academic Standing indicates that a student is eligible to continue in attendance at CSUB and is not on academic probation/ jeopardy/disqualification or disciplinary probation/suspension/ expulsion from the University.

How many credit/no credit courses can count towards the minimum of 120 units to graduate?

You need a minimum of 120 earned semester units in order to graduate from CSUB. Up to a maximum of 30 semester units of credit/no-credit course work (including optional credit/no-credit) completed at CSUB may be counted toward a baccalaureate degree. If you have questions about how many units you have used, please send an email to .

What if the course is a pre-requisite for another course?

Prerequisites for courses often include specific minimum letter grades (e.g., B- or better). A grade of CR would not satisfy for a pre-requisite course. If you have questions about whether your courses require letter grades, you can send an email to .

What if I am on academic probation?

Students on academic probation need to complete courses for a letter grade as they strive to raise their GPA above a 2.0. A grade of “CR” will not accommodate such movement out of probationary status. If you have question about how your academic standing will be affected, please send an email to

What if I receive financial aid?

A student who does not earn letter grades in a particular term may jeopardize their financial aid eligibility for subsequent terms. If you have questions about whether your financial aid eligibility will be affected, please send an email to .

What if I am a student athlete?

Student athletes must earn at least nine units with letter grades each semester to be considered as be making progress toward degree and remain eligible for their sports. If you have questions about whether your eligibility will be affected, please send an email to .

What if I am a veteran?

Veteran students must receive letter grades for enrolled courses or they stand to lose benefits. The Veterans Administration (VA) considers CR or NC grading to be non-punitive grading. Non-punitive grades must be reported to the VA, and the VA would expect immediate return of funds related to the reduced unit load.

Update from the VA: “Although VA does not typically make payments for classes resulting in nonpunitive grades, if COVID 19 is reported as mitigating circumstances for the student’s receipt of a nonpunitive grade (i.e., Fail in a Pass/Fail class) VA will pay for the class.” If you have questions whether your Veterans Benefits will be affected, please send an email to .

What if I am an international student?

International students may opt to take their courses credit/no credit for Spring 2020. This is allowed (okay) as long as it is in accordance with University policy. There are no implications to your i20 (your i20 is okay) if you opt to take courses credit/no credit for Spring 2020. CSUB has been in contact with both the Kuwait Cultural Office and Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission about the credit/no credit option and they are allowing (said yes to) the credit/no credit option. If you have further questions, please send an email to .

What if I am a graduate student?

Per university catalog policy, graduate students are not allowed to complete any course work for a graduate degree program with an optional credit, no-credit grading basis (p. 177 of the 2018-2020 University Catalog).