CSUB Services for Students with Disabilities Logo
Student Appeal Procedures


If you disagree with a decision made by SSD Staff, or if you feel you have been discriminated against based solely on the presence of a disability, here are the procedures to follow.

    Informal Appeal:
  1. Meet with the Director of SSD, Janice Clausen, to discuss your issue and develop a resolution, if possible.

  2. If a resolution is not possible, then an appointment will be made for you to meet with the SSD Director and the Division Director, Dr. Steve Herndon.

  3. If you still believe the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may request a meeting with the Vice President for Student Affairs. The office is located in SA 101, (661) 654-2161.

    Formal Appeal:
The formal grievance or appeal process is entitled “California State University, Bakersfield Section 504 Grievance Procedure”. Claudia Catota, J.D. is the designated Section 504/ADA Coordinator. You may obtain a copy of the Section 504 Grievance Procedure from her office in the President's Office, BDC E100, (661) 654-2137. This document contains detailed information as to how to proceed with your grievance. Upon request, the SSD office will provide a copy in an alternate format.
    Office of Civil Rights (OCR):

Under Title I and Title II of The Americans with Disabilities Act, the Department of Justice, Office of Civil Rights (OCR) has been delegated responsibility of investigating claims of discrimination based solely on disability in post- secondary institutions. You may reach OCR by:

U.S. Department of Justice 1-800-514-0301 (Voice)
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW 1-800-514-0383 (TTY)
Civil Rights Division 1-202-307-1198 (Fax)
Disability Rights Section - NYAVE
Washington, D.C. 20530

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm (Web site)