Alert: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Many times, students have questions that don't require an appointment with an advisor to answer. Please look through the FAQs below to see if your questions can be answered here. If not, please feel free to schedule an appointment with one of our Amazing Advisors!

Open All/Close All

How often should I meet with an advisor?

  • Freshmen are required to meet with an advisor every semester
  • Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors are required to meet with an advisor once a year
  • A hold will be placed on your MyCSUB if you do not meet with an advisor 

What are the IBEST/ISPED programs?

The IBEST and ISPED programs are specialized programs that give students the opportunity to begin working on their preliminary teaching credential while obtaining  their Liberal Studies B.A. 

  • Benefits
    • Obtain Liberal Studies B.A. and preliminary credential in the least amount of time
    • Early admission to the credential program at CSUB
    • Priority registration
  • Requirements
    • Liberal Studies major
    • Have a minimum 2.75 GPA to be admitted
    • Maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA throughout program
    • Have no remediation at the time of applying
    • Meet with a Liberal Studies Advisor once an academic year
    • Submit the Aggreement Form to an advisor

For more information, please contact the Liberal Studies Advising Office by calling (661) 654-6807.

How do I find out my class standing (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior)?

  • Freshman: 0-29.99 semester units earned
  • Sophomore: 30-59.99 semester units earned
  • Junior: 60-89.99 semester units earned
  • Senior: 90 or more semester units earned

When will I graduate?

  • Students should meet with an advisor to create an educational plan if they are unsure when they will be graduating

What is an educational plan vs. my major outline?

  • A student’s major outline is used as a list of course requirements, while an educational plan places those course requirements in a semester by semester plan, specific to the student 

When should I apply to graduate?

When should I apply to the credential program?

  • It depends on the student situation, so it is important to meet with advisor to discuss.

Do I need a minor?

  • The B.A. degree in Liberal Studies does not require a minor

Do I need to take the GWAR?

  • Liberal Studies majors meet the GWAR (graduation writing assessment requirement) by taking one of the following courses: English 3109, English 3119, or Communications 3008. If a student does not want to take the course, they must take and pass the GWAR Exam (NOTE: the exam will not provide the student with units)

Where can I get Financial Aid questions answered?

Students should always contact the financial aid office if they have questions about their financial aid: CSUB Financial Aid

Still have questions?

Ask an Advisor!

Call (661) 654-6807 to schedule an appointment or ask a question.