COVID Screening | Upload Vaccine Card | Submit Exemption | COVID-19

How to File a Claim Against the California State University

CSU Risk Management 

Information About Filing a Claim against California State University, Bakersfield

Any claim against California State University, Bakersfield must be filed with the Office of Risk Management & Public Safety at the address listed below within six (6) months after which the incident or event occurred along with a Twenty-Five Dollar ($25.00) filing fee made out to "Trustees of CSU".  Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:

Visit the CSU Risk Management and Public Safety at web site for further information or to obtain a claim form, click here, California State University Claim Form .

  • Carefully read the instructions, complete the relevant sections of the form describing the circumstances in full detail that led to the alleged damage or injury, and include any related supporting documents, such as Police reports, medical documentation, estimates for repair, etc.
  • Make a copy of your claim package for your records and mail the original claim package with your payment of $25 (made out to "Trustees of CSU") to the CSU-Office of the Chancellor at the address above.
  • If you do not use the California State University Claim Form, you must provide sufficient information to process the claim and the request must be appropriately signed. Under circumstances where you cannot afford to pay the $25 fee and you would like to request a fee waiver, you must attach an Affidavit for Waiver of CSU Filing Fee .
  • File the claim within the required time limits. For tort or personal injury claims, the claim must be filed within six months of the date of the incident. For contract claims, the claim must be filed within one year of the date of the alleged breach of contract.

Make sure that your claim is against the California State University, not another public entity.  If the claim involves another state agency, the claim should be filed with the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board at .  If the claim involves a county, city or other local government entity or employee, the claim should be filed directly with the local city or county's governing board or clerk.

Office of the Chancellor

The California State University - Office of the Chancellor

Risk Management and Public Safety

401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor

Long Beach, CA 90802-4210