The University Billing and Collections Department is responsible for the billing and collection of all outstanding and delinquent student receivable debts.  This may include but is not limited to registration fees, library fines, delinquent dormitory charges, Cal Swec Accounts, Emergency Loans, Carl F. Perkins Student Loans and Nursing Student Loans, etc.

The Billing and Collections Office is here to assist students with resolving their debt to the university.  It is important students pay their obligation timely or contact the Billing and Collections Office to discuss and resolve the outstanding debt.  It is also important students keep their physical and email addresses up to date in order to receive timely billing from the university.  If a debt remains delinquent, the Collections Office may use the services of the Franchise Tax Board as well as outside collection agencies to assist with collection efforts.

Fees & Debts Owed to the University

A prospective student who registers for courses offered by the university is obligated to pay fees associated with registration for those courses.  Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of classes of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.   (See Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 41802)

Failure to pay registration fees by the due date may result in disenrollment from classes.

Should a student, or former student, fail to pay a fee or a debt owed, the university may withhold permission to register; to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive certain services, materials, food or merchandise, or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt to the University.   (See Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 42380 and 42381)

Financial Holds 

A Student Financial Services Hold will remain on your student account and you will be unable to obtain certain services from the University until all past due balances are paid in full.

 If you have an outstanding balance owed to the university you will be notified by email or regular mail. It is important your address information be kept current. To update your information you may visit the Records & Admissions Office located in the Student Services Building on the main campus.  If your account becomes delinquent you may incur additional late fees.  Continued delinquency could result in placement to an outside collection agency.  If your account is placed with an outside collection agency, you may be required to pay all reasonable collection costs, including attorney fees.

Privacy Issues

Only the student named on the account legally may obtain information regarding account transactions.  If you would like to give the Billing and Collections Office authorization to discuss and release account information to a third party (e.g. parents or spouse), please complete a Consent to Release Information form.  Forms are available at the Student Financial Services Office.  The release authorization is limited to information from the Student Financial Services Office.



California State University, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Highway / 35 ADM
 Bakersfield, CA 93311 

Phone: (661) 654-3225
Fax: (661) 654-6473

Office: Administration Building East
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm