Google Scholar Profile: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=o35b9bUAAAAJ&hl=en
45. RB Pratt, AL Jacobsen. 2016. Conflicting demands on angiosperm xylem: tradeoffs among storage, transport, and biomechanics. Plant, Cell & Environment, in press.
41. Sean M Gleason, Mark Westoby, Steven Jansen, Brendan Choat, Tim J Brodribb, Hervé Cochard, Sylvain Delzon, Uwe G Hacke, Anna L Jacobsen, Daniel M Johnson, Frederic Lens, Hafiz Maherali, Jordi Martínez-Vilalta, Stefan Mayr, Katherine A McCulloh, Hugh Morris, Andrea Nardini, Lenka Plavcová, R Brandon Pratt, Stefan G Schreiber, Amy E Zanne. 2016. On research priorities to advance understanding of the safety–efficiency tradeoff in xylem. New Phytologist 211: 1156–1158.
40. Parker TV, Pratt RB, Keeley JE. 2016. Chaparral. H Mooney, and E Zavaleta, eds. Ecosystems of California. Univ of California Press.
39. Sack L, Ball MC, Brodersen C, Davis SD, Des Marais DL, Donovan LA, Givnish TJ, Hacke UG, Huxman T, Jansen S, Jacobsen AL, Johnson D, Koch GW, Maurel C, McCulloh KA, McDowell NG, McElrone A, Meinzer FC, Melcher PJ, North G, Pellegrini M, Pockman WT, Pratt RB, Sala A, Santiago LS, Savage JA, Scoffoni C, Sevanto S, Sperry J, Tyerman SD, Way D, and Holbrook NM. 2016. Plant hydraulics as a central hub integrating plant and ecosystem function: meeting report for “Emerging Frontiers in Plant Hydraulics” (Washington, DC, May 2015). Plant, Cell & Environment, doi: 10.1111/pce.12732.
SM, Westoby M, Jansen S, Choat B, Hacke UG,
Pratt RB, Bhaskar R, Brodribb TJ,
Bucci SJ, Cao K-F, et al. 2016. Weak tradeoff between xylem safety and
xylem-specific hydraulic efficiency across the world's woody plant species. New
Phytologist 209: 123-136.
37. Pausas JG, Pratt RB, Keeley JE, Jacobsen AL, Ramirez AR, Vilagrosa A, Paula S, Kanekua-Pia IN, Davis SD. 2016. Towards understanding resprouting at the global scale. New Phytologist 209: 945–954.
36. Pratt RB, MacKinnon E, Venturas M, Crous C, Jacobsen A. 2015. Root resistance to cavitation is accurately measured using a centrifuge technique. Tree physiology 35: 185-196.33.
35. Jacobsen AL, Rodriguez-Zaccaro FD, Lee TF, Valdovinos J, Toschi HS, Martinez JA, Pratt RB. 2015. Grapevine xylem development, architecture, and function. U Hacke (ed), Functional and Ecological Xylem Anatomy, Springer-Verlag, New York.
34. Pratt RB, Percolla MI, Jacobsen AL. 2015. Integrative xylem analysis of chaparral shrubs. U Hacke (ed), Functional and Ecological Xylem Anatomy, Springer-Verlag, New York.
33. Venturas MD, *MacKinnon ED, Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB. 2015. Excising stem samples under water at native tension does not induce xylem cavitation. Plant, Cell and Environment 38: 1060-1068.
32. Hacke UG, Jacobsen A, Venturas MD, MacKinnon ED, Sperry JS, Pratt RB. 2015. Standard centrifuge method accurately measures vulnerability curves in long vesseled olive stems. New Phytologist 205" 116-127.
31. Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB, Davis SD, Tobin MF. 2014. Geographic and seasonal variation in chaparral vulnerability to cavitation. Madroño 61: 317-327.
30. MacKinnon ED, Pratt RB, Jacobsen AL. 2014. Functional trait differences between weedy and non-weedy plants in southern California. Madroño 61: 328-338.
29. Pratt RB, Jacobsen AL, Ramirez AR, Helms AM, Traugh CA, Tobin MF, Heffner MS, Davis SD. 2014. Mortality of resprouting chaparral shrubs after a fire and during a record drought: physiological mechanisms and demographic consequences. Global Change Biology 20: 893-907.
28. Marais KE, Pratt RB, Jacobs SM, Jacobsen AL, Esler KJ. 2014. Postfire regeneration of resprouting mountain fynbos shrubs: differentiating obligate resprouters and facultative seeders. Plant Ecology 215:195-208.
Paddock III WAS, Davis SD, Pratt RB, Jacobsen AL, Tobin MF, López-Portillo
J, Ewers FW. 2013.
Factors determining mortality of adult chaparral shrubs in an
extreme drought year in California. Aliso 31: 49-57.
26. Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB. 2013. Vulnerability to cavitation of central California Arctostaphylos (Ericaceae): A new analysis. Oecologia 171:329-334.
25. Tobin, MF, Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, DeGuzman, ME. 2013. Xylem vulnerability to cavitation can be accurately characterized in species with long vessels using a centrifuge method. Plant Biology 15: 496-504.
24. Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB, Tobin MF, Hacke UG, Ewers FW. 2012. A global analysis of xylem vessel length in woody plants. American Journal of Botany 99: 1583-1591.
23. Choat B, Jansen S, Brodribb TJ, Cochard H, Delzon S, Bhaskar R, Bucci SJ, Feild TS, Gleason SM, Hacke UG, Jacobsen AL, Lens F, Maherali H, Martínez-Vilalta J, Mayr S, Mencuccini M, Mitchell PJ, Nardini A, Pittermann J, Pratt RB, Sperry JS, Westoby M, Wright IJ, Zanne AE. 2012. Global convergence in the vulnerability of forest to drought. Nature 491: 752-756.
22. Hacke UG, Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB, Maurel C, Lachenbruch B, Zwaizek J. 2012. New research on plant-water relations examines the molecular, structural, and physiological mechanisms of plant responses to their environment. New Phytologist 196: 345-348.
21. Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, Hernandez, J, Ewers, FW, North, GB, and Davis, SD. 2012. Allocation tradeoffs among chaparral shrub seedlings with different life history types (Rhamnaceae). American Journal of Botany 99: 1464-1476.
20. Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, Jacobs, SM, Esler, KJ. 2012. Xylem transport safety and efficiency differ among fynbos shrub life history types and between two sites differing in mean rainfall. International Journal of Plant Sciences 173: 474-483.
19. Ramirez, AR, Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, and Davis, SD. 2012. Exotic deer diminish post-fire resilience of native shrub communities on Santa Catalina Island, southern California. Plant Ecology 213: 1037-1047.
18. Jacobsen, AL and Pratt, RB. 2012. No evidence for an open vessel effect in centrifuge-based vulnerability curves of a long-vesselled liana (Vitis vinifera). New Phytologist 194: 982-990.
17. Jacobsen, AL, Roets, F, Jacobs, SM, Esler, KJ, Pratt RB. 2012. Dieback and mortality of South African fynbos shrubs is likely driven by a novel pathogen and pathogen-induced hydraulic failure. Austral Ecology 37: 227-235.
16. Pratt, RB, North, GB, Jacobsen, AL, Ewers, FW, Davis, SD. 2010. Xylem root and shoot hydraulics is linked to life history type in chaparral seedlings. Functional Ecology 24: 70-81.
14. Hacke, UG, Jacobsen, AL, Pratt, RB. 2009. Xylem function of arid-land shrubs from California, USA: an ecological and evolutionary analysis. Plant, Cell and Environment 32: 1324-1333.
13. Jacobsen, AL, Esler, KJ, Pratt, RB, Ewers, FW. 2009. Water stress tolerance of shurbs in Mediterranean-type climate regions: Convergence of fynbos and succulent karoo communities with California shrub communities. American Journal of Botany 96: 1445-1453.
12. Pratt, RB, *Mohla, R, Jacobsen, AL, Ewers, FW, and Davis, SD. 2008. Linkage between water stress tolerance and life history type in seedlings of nine chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Journal of Ecology 96: 1252-1265.
Jacobsen, AL, Pratt, RB, Davis, SD, and Ewers, FW. 2008. Comparative community physiology: non-convergence in water relations among three semi-arid shrub communities. New Phytologist 180: 110-113..
11. Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, North, GB, Schenk, Sack, L, Schenk, HJ. 2008. Plant hydraulics: new discoveries in the pipeline. New Phytologist, 179: 590-593.
10. Jacobsen, AL, Pratt, RB, Davis, SD, and Ewers, FW. 2007. Cavitation resistance and seasonal hydraulics differ among three arid Californian plant communities. Plant, Cell and Environment 30: 1599-1609.
9. Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, Ewers, FW, and Davis, SD. 2007. Relationships among xylem transport, biomechanics, and storage in stems and roots of nine Rhamnaceae species of the California chaparral. New Phytologist 174: 787-798.
8. Pratt, RB, Jacobsen, AL, Golgotiu, KA, Sperry, JS, Ewers, FW, and Davis, SD. 2007. Life history type coupled to water stress tolerance in nine Rhamnaceae species of the California chaparral. Ecological Monographs 77: 239-253.
7. Jacobsen AL, Pratt RB, Ewers FW, Davis SD. 2007. Cavitation resistance among twenty-six chaparral species of southern California. Ecological Monographs 77: 99-115.
6. AL, Agenbag, L, Esler, KJ, Pratt, RB, Ewers, FW, and Davis, SD. 2007. Xylem density, biomechanics and anatomical traits correlate with water stress in 17 evergreen shrub species of the Mediterranean-type climate region of South Africa. Journal of Ecology 95: 171-183.
5. Pratt, RB, and Black, RA. 2006. Do invasive trees have a hydraulic advantage over native trees? Biological Invasions 8: 1331-1341.
4. Jacobsen AL, Ewers FW, Pratt RB, Paddock WA III, Davis SD. 2005. Support for a fiber-inclusive model of xylem cavitation resistance. Plant Physiology 139: 546-556.
Davis, SD, FW Ewers, Pratt RB, Brown PL, and Bowen TJ. 2005. Interactive effects of freezing and drought on long distance transport: A case study of chaparral shrubs of California. In: Vascular Transport in Plants, N. Michele Holbrook, Maciej A. Zwieniecki (Eds.). Elsevier/AP co-imprint, Oxford, p. 564.
3. Pratt, RB, Ewers FW, Lawson MC, Jacobsen AL, Brediger M, and Davis SD. 2005. Mechanisms for tolerating freeze-thaw stress of two evergreen chaparral species: Rhus ovata and Malosma laurina (Anacardiaceae). American Journal of Botany 92: 1102-1113.
Davis S.D., Pratt R.B., and Bowen T.J. 2004. Interactions between water stress and freezing regulates chaparral distribution patterns in coastal California. 2004. In Arianoustsou & Popanastasis [eds], Proceeding 10th MEDECOS Conference. Millpress, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Pratt, RB, McElwain, KA, and Davis, SD. 2004. Relationship between life history type and resistance to xylem cavitation in California chaparral. In Arianoustsou & Popanastasis [eds], Proceeding 10th MEDECOS Conference. Millpress, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
2. Angeles G, Bond B, Boyer JS, Brodribb T, Brooks JR, Burns MJ, Cavender-Bares J, Clearwater M, Cochard H, Comstock J, Davis SD, Domec J-C, Donovan L, Ewers F, Gartner B, Hacke U, Hinckley T, Holbrook NM, Jones HG, Kavanagh K, Law B, López-Portillo J, Lovisolo C, Martin T, Martínez-Vilalta J, Mayr S, Meinzer FC, Melcher P, Mencuccini M, Mulkey S, Nardini A, Neufeld HS, Passioura J, Pockman WT, Pratt RB, Rambal S, Richter H, Sack L, Salleo S, Schubert A, Schulte P, Sparks JP, Sperry J, Teskey R, and Tyree M. 2004. The Cohesion-Tension Theory. New Phytologist 163: 451-452.
Pratt, RB. 2003. Xylem cavitation for black cottonwood and 10 native and invasive tree species in North America. Ph.D. thesis, Washington State University.
1. Olsen, RL, Pratt, RB, Gump, P, Kemper, A, and Tallman, G. 2002. Red light activates a chloroplast-dependent ion uptake mechanism for stomatal opening under reduced CO2 concentrations in Vicia spp. New Phytologist 153: 497-508.