Your browser does not support JavaScript. Please upgrade your browser or enable your JavaScript.

Link Hierarchy

Frequently Asked Questions

I was involved in an incident and told that I had to come to the Office of the Dean of Student Life, what does that mean?

The Office of the Dean of Student Life will receive a written report from University Representatives (e.g. University Faculty, Staff, Police and/or Administrators) if a student is accused of violating CSUB's policies. You will then receive a letter from us mandating that you call our office to schedule a meeting to discuss the allegation. The one-on-one meeting with the Dean of Student Life and/or Student Conduct Coordinator will be your opportunity to explain what happened from your perspective.

May I request information regarding my case over the telephone?

As a general rule, we do not provide such information over the phone because information regarding disciplinary matters is highly confidential, and we must be sure that we are providing the information to the correct person.

What happens if I don't make a meeting with the Student Conduct Administrator after I receive a disciplinary letter?

If a student fails to attend the scheduled meeting, a Notice of Hearing will be sent. Hearing officers will review the case and recommend appropriate sanctions.

Can someone attend the meeting with me?

Yes, you may bring a person with you to advise during the informal meeting. The advisor is there to support you and not to speak on your behalf. If you invite another person into the disciplinary meeting you are providing authorization for that person to hear information about the allegation.

You must be aware that separate meetings are scheduled for any students involved in the same disciplinary matter, including those who have been referred to the Office of the Dean of Student Life and/or who may have witnessed an incident being investigated by the office.

I have an attorney, what is his/her role in the disciplinary process?

While you may consult with your attorney concerning the matter, your attorney may not accompany you at either the informal meeting or at the formal hearing. The Presidentís campus policy does not permit the use of attorneys in the student conduct disciplinary proceedings for both the student charged and the campus.

Can my parents obtain information from Office of the Dean of Student Life about my case?

The issue in question is between the student and the University. Your disciplinary proceedings are therefore confidential and protected by University policy based on federal law (FERPA). If a parent contacts our office concerning a disciplinary matter, the parent will be referred back to you for clarification. Our office will provide disciplinary information to your parents if you have signed a Discipline File Release Form, authorizing us to do so.

Who has access to my disciplinary record?

Your disciplinary record is considered confidential. However, information concerning your disciplinary record may be available to appropriate University officials, faculty and/or staff who have a legitimate education interest in such information. In addition, information regarding your disciplinary record may be released to other individuals or entities upon your written request or in accordance with state and federal law.

How long will my disciplinary record be maintained?

Most disciplinary records are maintained for at least seven years from the date the sanction was imposed. Some records however are kept permanently, including those in which sanctions assessed include expulsion and suspension for longer than one academic year.

If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to Office of the Dean of Student Life?

Yes, the same set of facts may result in an investigation by both the University and the courts.

How can I have an administrative hold lifted from my record?

Generally, the university may place a hold on registration transactions and release of records and transcripts who has been sent a Notice of Hearing. The administrative hold will be lifted once the student conduct process as per E0 1043 is completed.

How can I report a suspected violation of the Student Code of Conduct?

If you have reason to believe that a student may have violated the University rules, you may contact the Office of the Dean of Student Life at (661) 654-2680. Arrangements can be made for you to meet with the Dean of Student Life and/or Student Conduct Coordinator who will discuss the situation with you and inform you of your options.

Will I be able to know the outcome of another student's disciplinary matter?

We will only release information about the outcome of another student's disciplinary matter upon his/her written consent or when required to do so by state or federal law.

What if I am accused of academic dishonesty?

Parents' Frequently Asked Questions

Why is a particular rule or policy in place?

Policies are designed to support the university's educational mission and to ensure a safe environment where people can work, study, and live without undue interference. They are also designed to build and support the academic and social community, by teaching students' responsibility and interdependence, and to promote moral and ethical development.

My child is notified of a disciplinary violation. Does he/she have the opportunity to defend him/herself?

Every student notified that he/she may have participated in a behavior that is a disciplinary violation, is afforded the opportunity to explain what happened during the incident and to present additional relevant information during an informal conference with the Dean of Student Life and/or Student Conduct Coordinator

What is my role as a parent in the university judicial process? How can I help my child?

You can help to guide your son/daughter through the process and be supportive while holding him or her accountable to your expectations and those of the university. Expect your student to set appointments, attend meetings, and fulfill sanctions. It is not beneficial to the educational development of the student, or resolution of the matter, for you to take over the process for your son or daughter.

My child was charged criminally. Why go through Student Judicial Services too?

Members of the California State University community and their visitors are subject to all university rules and regulations, including those contained in CSUB Code of Student Conduct. Additionally, those individuals are also simultaneously subject to all local, state, or federal laws.

Do I need to hire an attorney to represent my student?

The accused student has the right to consult an attorney before the informal conference or the student conduct hearing. The university does not allow attorney representation at an informal conference or at the student conduct hearing.

How are sanctions decided?

Sanctions may be imposed independently or in combination with other sanctions. Sanctions can be assigned to an individual student, group of students, and student organizations. Sanctioning is determined case by case, since it reflects the needs of the individual student, the student's cumulative judicial history, and the impact of that student's behavior on the community.

Does the outcome go on my student's record?

Notations are made on student transcripts when the following sanctions are issued: probation, suspension, and expulsion. Disciplinary probation shall be noted on the student's formal academic record only for the duration of the probationary period. Suspension for more than one academic year is noted permanently on the student's formal academic record. Expulsion is permanently noted on the student's academic record and the student is removed permanently from California State University, Bakersfield or from the California State University System.

Will a disciplinary record keep my student from getting into law school, graduate school, etc.?

A disciplinary record does not automatically exclude a student from further study, jobs, etc. That usually depends on the type and severity of misconduct in which a student is involved. A disciplinary record may lead an admissions office to more closely scrutinize the student's application. We will only release information about a student's disciplinary record to another school or potential employer as allowed by Family Educational Rights and Privacy act (FERPA). For further information see FERPA policy