Open All/Close All

Can a candidate waive EDTE 300?

Yes, EDTE 300 must be completed or waived in order to be admitted into the Multiple Subject Credential Program. Please visit the Forms page to complete the waiver. 

Do ALL the "foundational" courses need to be completed prior to Stage I?

No. Candidates are advised to complete the foundational courses prior to admittance. If they are unable to do so, they can take the foundational courses with Stage I courses. However, students must have ALL the foundational courses completed by the end of Stage I or they will not be allowed to proceed to Stage II.

What is a course substitution?

A course substitution is when a candidate has taken a course at a different institution and believes it is equivalent to a course they are required to take.

How do candidates complete a course substitution?

The candidate will pick up a Course Substitution Form from the Credentials Office or from our website and return it to the Evaluator with the appropriate documents (course syllabus, course description, etc.) to be dispersed for signature of approval or denial. The Evaluator will notify the candidate via mail the status of their course substitution.

Can a candidate take courses out of sequence?

No, candidates cannot take courses from 2 different stages. They have to complete one stage before moving to the next stage. There are course requisites that will not allow a student to register for courses out of stage sequence without the Director’s approval. See an advisor for further information.

What is the required GPA and what GPA must be maintained throughout the credential program?

To be admitted into the Credential program the candidate must meet a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or the last 90 units of 2.75. An Exceptional admission will allow candidates to be admitted if they have met the university GPA requirement of 2.5 and demonstrate strong potential in other areas.

Executive Order 547, Title 5, Section 41101 requires all students to maintain a 3.0 GPA for ALL credential coursework or they will be disqualified from the program and/or will not be recommended for a credential.

How can I become an Intern?

Once admitted, a student who is offered a teaching position can apply for the Intern program. They must complete intern application and the evaluator will process the application through CTC and notify the student.

How long are my Fingerprint Clearance (COC) and TB valid?

COC - A fingerprint clearance is valid for 5 years from the issuance date. See form “How to obtain a certificate of clearance”

TB – A negative TB skin test is valid for 4 years and an X-ray exam is good for 2 years

How do candidates apply for their preliminary credential?

At the end of Stage III, candidates may complete the credential application. They will submit the application to the credentials office and the credential analyst will forward the application to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.


Department of Teacher Education

California State University, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022 

Phone: (661) 654-3134
Fax: (661) 654-2199
Office: EDUC 116

Antelope Valley Center

California State University, Bakersfield-AV
43909 30th Street West
Lancaster, CA  93536

Phone: (661) 952-5080
Fax: (661) 952-5122
Office: 301