- Up to
Admission and Application Information
Application DocumentsThe first step in applying to the Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership at Fresno State is to fill out the university application found at www.csumentor.edu.
In addition to the CSU Mentor application, applicants must also apply and submit materials to the program. A checklist of all requirements for admission to the program is provided for your convenience.
The Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership may admit only candidates who meet the academic requirements for the Ed.D. degree program and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success as doctoral candidates and as educational leaders. Meeting the minimum requirements qualifies an individual for consideration, but does not guarantee admission to the Program. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
The Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership requires the following of all applicants for admission to the doctoral program:
- An earned baccalaureate degree and master’s degree from accredited institutions of higher education with a grade point average in upper division and graduate studies of 3.0 or above;
- Sufficient preparation and graduate training and experience pertinent to educational leadership to benefit from the Program;
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores on the Verbal, Quantitative, and Written (see Policy on DPELFS Graduate Entrance Writing Requirement) GRE tests, taken within the last five years;
- Demonstrated educational leadership potential and skills including successful experience in school, postsecondary, community, and/or policy leadership;
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and an interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements within current educational policies and practices;
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the leadership, ability, and scholarship of the candidate;
- A written statement of purpose reflecting an understanding of the challenges facing the public schools or community colleges/institutions of higher education in California;
- Professional resume, including whether the applicant has proficiency in a second language;
- Examples of professional writings;
- A statement of support for the candidate’s doctoral studies from her/his employer;
- Response to a writing prompt administered on campus prior to the interview; and,
- A personal interview with the Admissions Committee.
Other university graduate admissions standards for graduate students also apply to all Ed.D. candidates.
The California State University has established the CSU Education Doctorate State University Fee for students enrolled in the Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership. The CSU Education Doctorate State University Fee rate is linked to the University of California graduate fee rate and will be subject to the same fee increases assessed by the University of California.
The CSU Education Doctorate State University Fee rate is currently $5,960.50 for the Fall 2012 term. Doctoral students will attend three semester terms per year (fall, spring, and summer). All fees subject to change. Please refer to the following website for more up to date information: http://www.fresnostate.edu/catalog/academic-regulations/fees.html
Advanced Educational Studies
California State University, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022
Phone: (661) 654-3055
Fax: (661) 654-2479
Office: Education 238