Open All/Close All

What is an Intern and how can I become one?

An internship allows you to complete the credential program while teaching in your own classroom.  Certain requirements must be met prior to becoming an intern.  If you are offered a teaching position, contact the credentials to determine eligibility.  An intern credential is valid for two years.

How do I apply?

This is a two-part application process.  1) Apply to the University, 2) Apply to the appropriate credential program.  Program applications can be found at: Credential Forms

How do candidates apply for their preliminary credential?

At the end of Stage III, candidates may access the credential application. They will submit the application to the credentials office and the credential analyst will forward the application to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

How long are my Fingerprint Clearance (COC) and TB valid?

COC - A fingerprint clearance is valid for 5 years from the issuance date. See form “How to obtain a certificate of clearance”

TB – A negative TB skin test is valid for 4 years and an X-ray exam is good for 2 years

Do all of the foundational courses need to be completed prior to Stage I?

No. Candidates are advised to complete the foundational courses prior to admittance. If they are unable to do so, they can take the foundational courses with Stage I courses. However, students must have ALL the foundational courses completed by the end of Stage I or they will not be allowed to proceed to Stage II.

Can a Candidate waive EDTE 300?

Yes, EDTE 300 must be completed or waived in order to be admitted into the Multiple Subject Credential Program. Please visit the Forms page to complete the waiver. 

What is Course Substitution?

A course substitution is when a candidate has taken a course at a different institution and believes it is equivalent to a course they are required to take.

What Credential do I need to become an elementary school teacher?

A Multiple Subject Teaching Credential is required to be an elementary school teacher in a public school setting.  This credential authorizes the teacher to teach all subjects to one group of students in a self-contained classroom.  It may also authorize teaching in a middle school.

What Credential do I need to become a junior high school teacher

A Single Subject Teaching Credential is required to be a junior high or high school teacher in a public school setting.  This credential authorizes the teacher to teach one subject to different groups of students in a departmentalized classroom in grades 12 and below.

Are there prerequisite courses required prior to admission?

The Early Field Experience course is required prior to admission.  You may also take the Foundational Courses prior to admittance to the credential program.

Do I need a Bachelors Degree?

You must have a Bachelor's Degree in order to be recommended for a California teaching credential.  However, you do not need to have a Bachelors' Degree to begin the credential program.  We have several "blended" programs that allow you to complete your undergraduate degree and credential simultaneously.

How much does the program cost?

Current University fees can be found at: Fees

What is the CBEST?

The CBEST is the Basic Skills Requirement.  It is a requirement for all California teachers.  Passage of CBEST is a requirement for admission.  Registration can be found here.

What is CSET?

The CSET is the exam used to meet subject matter competency requirement for Multiple Subject candidates.  It is also an option for Single Subject candidates who did not meet subject matter competency through a Commission Approved subject matter program.  Passage of CSET is a requirement for admission.  Registration can be found here.