The University confers the MSW degree upon fulfillment of the following requirements:
- Completion of 70 hours of course work (50 hours for advanced-standing students) according to an approved degree plan.
- Completion of 960 hours of field experience (480 hours for advanced-standing students) and associated seminars.
- Completion of a Thesis or Project.
- Grade point average of 3.0, and a grade of "C" or better in all courses taken to satisfy the requirements for the degree as specified in each student's Plan of Study.
- Completion of 64 credits in residence for regular students and 32 for the advanced-standing students.
- All coursework leading to the MSW degree must be completed within 7 years from first enrollment.
In conjunction with the field practicum each student will complete a portfolio as a culminating experience.
Advancement to Graduate Candidacy
Regular MSW students may be advanced to candidacy upon completion of the Foundation curriculum, and advanced-standing students may be advanced to candidacy during the second quarter of their studies. Advancement to candidacy is based upon a formal review and recommendation by the faculty and approval by the Dean for Graduate Studies and Research. Advancement to candidacy is required prior to initiation of the Thesis or Project.