- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Campus Programming
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
Consideration for admission requires two separate applications: a university application and a department application. The department application also requires three professional references. The university application, department application, and reference forms are available via the links on the bottom right.
The university notifies the applicant of admission to the university, and the department notifies the applicant of admission to the department. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the department.
Students are admitted only in the fall semester of each year. The application process for fall 2016 is now closed. Applications for admission in the fall of 2017 will be available on October 1st. The application deadline for the fall 2017 will be on February 1, 2017.
Admission to the MSW program is based on an overall evaluation of the applicant on the following criteria: 1) intellectual and academic potential, 2) relevant human services experience, 3) leadership potential, and 4) quality of reference letters.
The Department of Social Work requires a minimum of an earned baccalaureate degree for admission to its MSW program.
An applicant must meet these requirements before the Admissions Committee will review the application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application file is complete.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree that provides a liberal arts foundation significantly equivalent to the general education requirements listed in the CSUB catalog and that is from a recognized college or university.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5 (on a four point scale).
- A completed University application form, which is obtainable from any CSU campus or CSU websites www.csumentor.edu
- A completed Department of Social Work application
- Official sealed copies of transcripts from all colleges attended
- A personal statement completed according to the guidelines in the application
- Three letters of reference
- CSUB application fee ($55)
- Computer literacy
Applicants who meet items 2 through 9 above will be evaluated for possible admission to the program. Applicants who do not yet have a bachelor’s degree may be admitted as “conditional” graduate students and must submit proof of having completed their degrees before beginning the MSW program.
All applicants are encouraged to apply to the university for financial aid.
Individuals who are interested in the Titile IV-E CalSWEC program should follow the directions on the last two pages of the department application. Additional information about the Title IV-E CalSWEC program is available from CalSWEC's child welfare site.
The Mental Health CalSWEC program is available only to students in the final year of the MSW program. Information about that program is available from CalSWEC's mental health site.
2016-2017 Part Time Program Information
The MSW part-time program will be offered in a blended format beginning in the academic year 2016-2017. The blended format will include one face-to-face session for each course every three weeks of the semester and significant online learning opportunities between face-to-face sessions. The blended program will allow students to take all three courses in a semester on one evening during the workweek. These courses will be offered either on Tuesday or Thursday night. As seen in the part-time program of study below, students will complete three courses in the fall and spring semesters of all three years and one course during the summer of the first and second year of the program. 2016 Part-Time Program of Study
Advanced Standing Program
Students who meet the following requirements may apply for admission with Advanced Standing:
- Must have completed the BSW degree within five years prior to admission to the graduate program.
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.0 for the baccalaureate degree.
- Must have a grade of B (3.0) or better for all social work courses.
Students who qualify for Advanced Standing receive a waiver of the foundation content.
Quarter to Semester
CSUB Moves to Semester Calendar Fall 2016. For more information regarding this process please visit www.csub.edu/q2s/
Individuals who need information may contact the department to arrange a phone consultation or a face-to-face meeting.
Please call (661) 654-2107 for more information.
Stay connected by following us on Facebook!
Deadline to Apply
Fall 2016: Closed
Fall 2017: Application will open on Oct. 1, 2016 & all application materials will be due Feb. 2, 2017.