Three-Year Sample Plan
For students requiring pre-calculus and chemistry preparation and remedial English but not remedial Math.
Students requiring remedial work in Math will still have a schedule similar to this, see your advisor for details.
A “normal” student workload is 15 units, the schedule below is generally 12 to 16 units per quarter. Students
who can handle larger workloads without any diminishment to their grades can add an additional class per quarter.
|ENGL 80||Reading and Writing 1|
|MATH 191||Pre-calculus I 2|
|CSUB 101||CSUB Orientation|
|ENGR 160||Engineering Orientation|
|MATH 192||Pre-calculus Mathematics II|
|ENGL 100||Critical Thinking and Writing|
|ENGR 161||Introduction to Engineering|
|ENGL 110||Writing and Research|
|COMM 108||Public Communication 3|
|MATH 201||Calculus I||
|PHYS 221||Classical Physics I|
|CMPS 221/150||Programming Fundamentals and Introduction to Unix|
|HIST 231||US History to 1865|
|PHYS 222||Classical Physics II|
|ENGR 240||Analytic Mechanics, Statics|
|MATH 205||Ordinary Differential Equations|
|PHYS 223||Optics and Modern Physics|
|ENGR 207||Electric Circuits|
|PLSI 101||American Government and Politics|
|CHEM 101||Preparation for College Chemistry 4|
|MATH 202/222||Calculus II and Laboratory Experience 5|
|ENGR 270||Introduction to CAD in |
|CHEM 211||General Chemistry I|
|MATH 203||Calculus III|
|ENGR 271||Intermediate CAD in Engineering|
|CHEM 212||General Chemistry II|
|MATH 204||Calculus IV|
|PHIL 102||Logical Reasoning 7||
- 1 Students scoring 550 or better on the SAT English Test or a 155 or better on the English Placement Test
can start with ENGL 110. Students scoring 142-154 on the English Placement Test should start in ENGL 100.
- 2 Eligibility for MATH 191 requires a 550 or better on the SAT Math Test, 23 or better on the ACT Math Test,
or a 50 or better on the Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) exam. Students with a 3 or better on the AP Exam (Math or
Statistics) or passing the Calculus Readiness Test can take MATH 201 instead of 191. Students scoring 38-48 on the
ELM exam should start in Math 85, 0-36 on the ELM exam should start in MATH 75. For students in remedial math, the
course sequence is 75-85-190-192-201.
- 3 Students planning to transfer to a UC school should instead take ENGL 101.
- 4 Students passing the Chemistry Placement Test or with 3 or better on the AP Chemistry Exam can enroll
into CHEM 211.
- 5 MATH 222 is normally taken at the same time as Math 202 but can instead be taken alongside MATH 203.
- 6 ENGR 270 and 271 are not required for transfer but are strongly recommended for most engineering students.
- 7 Students transferring to Fresno, Northridge, or San Luis Obispo do not need to take PHIL 102, take a
different General Education course.
Class offerings vary, do not assume the above schedule will always be valid. Meet with a pre-engineering advisor
to plan your schedule.