- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
The CSUB Department of Nursing views community engagement as a privilege and an opportunity. Our students, staff, and faculty are committed to serving Kern County, and participate in a wide range of activities to improve the health and well-being of local residents.
At health fairs, CSUB nursing students partner with local healthcare agencies, employers, and charity organizations to provide health screenings and immunizations. They participate in many walks and other fundraisers throughout the year, to support the efforts of local groups who make a difference in the lives of individuals and families living with health-related conditions. Students serve the community individually and in a variety of groups.
Two organized student groups engage in community service activities throughout the year. The California Nursing Student Association (CNSA) engages in a wide variety of service projects, and has received a CSUB award for Outstanding Community Service for a campus-based student group. The Community Preventive Health Collaborative (CPHC) focuses on health screenings and education for Kern County residents with limited resources for health maintenance and improvement. Please click on the links to learn more about these outstanding student organizations.
CSUB nursing students work together to bring knowledge, comfort, confidence, and support to Kern County residents in many ways:
- Community health fairs in Arvin, Lamont, Belridge, Taft, Shafter, and Wasco.
- Health fairs organized by Bakersfield College, Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, Bakersfield Heart Hospital, the Boys & Girls Club, Chevron, Community Action Partnership, Gemcare, Healthy Kids, Kaiser Permanente, Kern County Department of Public Health, Mercy Hospitals of Bakersfield, North Kern State Prison, San Joaquin Community Hospital, and Wasco State Prison.
- Fundraisers to support the American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, March of Dimes, and the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
- Book Drive to donate reading materials to the Bakersfield Homeless Center, Ronald McDonald House, Alliance Against Family Violence, Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, and Kern Medical Center.
- Ronald McDonald House meal service, to provide fresh meals to the families of hospitalized children at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital.
- Valentines for Vets, to deliver many messages of gratitude and support to U.S. military veterans.
- Kaiser Permanente's Hippocrates Circle, an annual event in which CSUB nursing students, staff, and faculty provide interactive presentations and health education to local middle school students with a strong interest in health professions. CSUB Nursing provides one of the events in a series of experiences within the community.
- RN Explorers, an ongoing program in which CSUB students, staff, and faculty meet regularly with high school students interested in nursing to introduce the nursing profession and basic nursing concepts, tour nursing education and local healthcare facilities, and offer health education that participants can use to improve their own lives.