- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residential Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
Tolerance of gay community is focus of rally on May 22
May 15, 2012California State University, Bakersfield will again focus its attention on tolerance of the gay community in its third annual Ally Rally to be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 22, in the Student Union Multipurpose Room. The event is free and open to the public.
The national debate on rights for gays and lesbians continued last week when President Obama came out in support of same-sex marriage after North Carolina voters enacted a ban on such unions. CSUB's event focuses on how students, staff, faculty and the community at large can be effective allies for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning individuals.
- Tim Vivian, Associate Professor of Religious Studies at CSUB and Vicar of Grace Episcopal Church
- Michael Harville, Safe Zone Coordinator at CSUB
- Emily Poole, Assistant Director of the Student Union at CSUB
- Whitney Weddell, Leader of Bakersfield LGBTQ
- Ike Duran, President of the Bakersfield Parents, Friends, and Family of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Matt Guenther, Bakersfield College student
- Valerie Schultz, Columnist for The Bakersfield Californian
"Given our President's recent comments about supporting gay marriage, our third Ally Rally certainly comes at an opportune time. The public can come and ask questions about gay, lesbian, and bisexual people, or just come to show their support," said organizer Anne Duran, a psychology professor at CSUB. More than 200 people attended last year's rally.
For more information, contact Anne Duran at 661-654-2298 or email@example.com.