We look forward to hearing your singing and playing!
Vocal Music Audition Requirements
- Performance of a solo, art song or aria is preferred
- Tonal memory test
Prospective students are welcome to bring their own live or recorded accompanist, because no accompanist will be provided.
Instrumental Music Audition Requirements
- One piece demonstrating technical proficiency
- One piece demonstrating expressive, lyrical playing
- Major scales up to three sharps or flats (two octaves when possible)
- Chromatic scale (over full range of the instrument)
- Improvise on a 12-bar blues pattern or jazz standard
- Bassists: demonstrate walking bass line on a 12-bar blues form or jazz standard
- Drummers: demonstrate various styles (swing, samba, bossa nova, and rock)
On the day of the audition, students will also receive a mini orientation and complete the Music Theory Diagnostic.
To apply to CSU Bakersfield visit:
Apply early and secure your spot at our University.
For your convenience, here are the basic requirements that prospective students need to complete prior to applying to CSU Bakersfield:
- SAT or ACT College Entrance Exam (completed or scheduled)
- English: 4 years of college prepatory English composition and literature
- Math: 3 years (4 years are recommended), including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, or higher mathematics
- History and Social Science: 2 years, including 1 year of U.S history (or 1 semester of U.S. History and 1 semester of civics or American government) and 1 year of social science
- Laboratory Science: 2 years with a lab class
- Language (other than English): 2 years of the same language (American Sign Language is acceptable)
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year of dance, drama or theatre, music, or visual arts
- College Preparatory Elective: 1 year of any college preparatory subject