Quick LinksFind Books & Videos
Find CSUB Journals Find E-Reference
WALTER W. STIERN COLLECTION
Cannot be removed from archives.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain copyright authorization.
The files obtained by the late Jim Segesta for the archives from an unknown source. Looseleaf binders and tapes were donated by Arthur Johnson in 2000. The oral histories were conducted by Enis Hart Douglass in 1987.
Title: The Walter W. Stiern Collection
Extent: Six linear feet
Repository: Walter W. Stiern Library, California State University, Bakersfield.
9001 Stockdale Highway. Bakersfield, CA 93311
Physical Location: Archives Room
Scope and Contents
One file box containing file folders, and publications. Looseleaf binders. Two monographs. Four CDs.
File Box contents
Files contain correspondence, newspaper articles, and other materials relating to the establishment of a Kern County college.
File 1- 1959-1962
File 2- 1963
File 3- 1964
File 4- 1965
File 5- 1966-1973
File 6- Newspaper clippings
File 7- Senate Bill 175 and related documents
File 8- Site selection documents
File 9- 1969 Ground breaking ceremony
File 10- File on change from college to university
File 11- Miscellany
-University of California San Joaquin Campus, presentation to Coordinating Council for Higher Education by the Committee of One Hundred September 16, 1964.
- Interim Report on the Need for Additional Centers of Higher Education, by the Committee of One Hundred April 1963.
- A Report on the Need for Additional State Colleges, San Mateo County, Kern County. California State Colleges Chancellors Office, March 1963, Inglewood.
- Selecting a State College Site for Kern County. Office of the Chancellor. July 30, 1965.
- Kern County Can Qualify for an Institution of Higher Education Now. Dr. Cleon Caldwell, consultant, Kern County Superintendent of Schools, 1964.
- A Master Plan for Higher Education in California, 1960-1975, California Department of Education, 1960.
- Report of the Senate Fact Finding Committee on Education, California State Senate, 1961.
- A Study of the Need for Locating an Institution of Higher Education in Kern County. Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce. October 1959.
File 12- Commencement, January 14, 1986. [Stiern was speaker]
File 13- Information acquired or written Arthur Johnson- c. 1998
Article from Californian about Tomas Arciniega selection as president-c. 1983
19 loose leaf binders consisting of a Stiern biography assembled and/or written Arthur Johnson for the Sixty-Plus Club. Date c. 2000.
1 binder containing correspondence between William Earl Benham and Stiern. Donated by Benham’s in daughter 2006.
Two mongraphs – An Oral History Interview with Hon. Walter W. Stiern by Enid Hart Douglass, 1987.
Four cds of An Oral History Interview with Hon. Walter W. Stiern by Enid Hart Douglass, 1987.