The Walter W. Stiern Library offers Individual and Group Study Rooms for enhanced Library research and study exclusively to the CSUB University community. These rooms are in addition to several hundred open table and carrel study spaces. These rooms may not be used as classrooms or faculty offices. Access to the Library's electronic services for scholarship and research is available. Access to electronic services for administrative purposes can not be supported by the Library staff.
INDIVIDUAL STUDY ROOMS
1. Individual Study Rooms are available to currently registered Graduate students , Senior level students
and Faculty. Persons requesting a room must demonstrate a need to have access to Library materials/facilities to support a research project. When requesting a study, the applicant must submit a brief written description of the project with the expected date of completion.
Download Application form in
fillable Word format
are encouraged to fill out the
form electronically. You can use your
computer mouse or the
"Tab" key on the keyboard to move from one field to another.
Then, you can print the
completed application out,
sign it, and submit to
the Office of the Director of Libraries, WSL 111, or fax to 661-654-3238. Print
copies of application forms are available at the Library's Circulation Desk and
the Reference Desk.
- Room can be requested for up to twelve months.
- Refundable key deposit fee of $30 must be paid to the Accounting Cashiers
Window, before keys can be issued to students.
- Key must be turned in at expiration date.
- Room must be completely vacated by designated expiration date, unless
use has been extended in response to a new request.
2. General guidelines:
- Eating, drinking, or smoking is not permitted.
- Library furniture can not be removed or traded for other furniture.
Non-Library furniture is not allowed.
- Wall hangings (e.g. pictures, tapestries, etc.) and window coverings are not
3. Library materials properly checked out may be kept in the room, however noncirculating materials (such as periodicals) must be returned to the Library's shelves immediately after use. Noncirculating Library materials and items not checked out will be removed by Library staff. Library staff routinely checks all Individual Study rooms.
4. The Library reserves the right to enter rooms to connect computers to the network, configure computers, maintain network connections, and perform work necessary to support electronic access.
5. The Library is not responsible for any property left in the room. The room should be kept locked at all times.
GROUP STUDY ROOMS
1. The fourteen Group Study Rooms are available to groups of two or more CSUB students. Rooms are available strictly on a first come, first served basis. During periods of non-use by groups, individuals may use these rooms; however, groups have priority, and the individual must relinquish the room at a group's request.
2. General guidelines:
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted.
- These rooms are for Library-related use only. Rooms may not be used for
student organization meetings, faculty meetings, or as regular classrooms.
- Furniture in these rooms must not be removed or traded for other Library
equipment or furniture. Non-Library furniture is not allowed.
- Radios, tape players, and televisions may not be used in these rooms unless in conjunction with the Library's Media Service.