Live Reference Help
Hours: Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Assistance: Live Reference
Help librarians may be from CSU Bakersfield, other CSU campuses, or other areas
of the United States. All will be able to assist you in using CSUB Library
Before connecting for Live Reference Help:
- You must use Internet Explorer or Netscape 6.01 or below
for this service; other browsers such as AOL, Mozilla, and Opera do not
- If you have a software firewall such as Norton Internet Security
installed on your computer, you have to disable the firewall before you can
chat with the librarian.
- For best results, please delete Temporary Internet Files and disable Java(Sun).
Connecting: Enter on the right hand side of your
- Your "First Name"
- Your 'Email Address' so that a transcript of the chat and links to Web sites visited can be emailed to you at the end of the session.
- The "Name of Your School". (For example, "CSUB")
- Click on the "Connect" button.
Once you are connected:
- Please do not try to bookmark (add to favorites) any pages during
- Do NOT use your browser's "Back","forward", or "refresh" buttons,
otherwise you will be disconnected. Use the gray back, forward, and refresh
buttons on the top left corner of the screen.
- If you must open a new window, do NOT use control "n" or "File"-"New",
because your computer will crash if you do so. Use the "start" menu or taskbar
shortcut to open a new browser window.
Other ways to get reference assistance:
- For in-depth research assistance by appointment, see
- Visit the library and ask for help at the Reference Desk, see hours at
- Call the Reference Desk at 661-664-3231
- Email a librarian at
Copyright@ 2005 California State University Bakersfield Library