Faculty and Staff Website Support

Our faculty and staff play an integral role in our student's engagement and success.  As such, ITS is committed to supporting their efforts to create effective and engaging websites for students. Personal websites for faculty and staff are different from departmental websites.  We provide full service support from website creation to publishing.  Additionally, we can provide ongoing support for updating web content.

To learn more about this exciting service, please submit a web support request.


Open All/Close All

I am new to CSUB. How do I request a site?

Personal sites can be requeted by filling out the Web Help Form.  Once the ticket is received, someone will contact you regarding your site needs.

To find out more, go to: Web Help Form

How do I access or update my site?

Currently, there are two ways to access or update your site.

Option 1:
If you are comfortable with HTML and do your own coding, you can request an FTP account by filling out the form.  Someone will contact you regarding account creation.  You will be responsible for updates to your own site, ensure that your site meets Accessibility 508 standards, and meets university guidelines.

Option 2:
If you would like someone to update your site for you, you can fill out the Web Help form below and someone will contact you regarding updates to your site.

To find out more, go to: Web Help Form

How do I reset my FTP password?

Your FTP login information is not the same as your MyCSUB login information.  Therefore, if you forget or need to change your FTP login password, please use the Web Help Form and choose the password reset option in the description.

To find out more, go to: Web Help Form

What's the web address of my website?

You will need to know your NetID.  Your address will be the campus homepage followed by a tilde (~), then your NetID.

NetID:  jdoe
URL:  http://www.csub.edu/~jdoe

I'm updating my own site. What FTP client should I use?

CSUB does not have an official FTP client.  Users can use whatever client they want.  The only requirement is that the client must be able to connect using Secure FTP (SFTP).  A popular client is FileZilla which supports a wide array of connection options.  You can download FileZilla from their website.

You will need administrator access to install this software.  Please contact the HelpDesk if you cannot install this software on your machine.

To find out more, go to: FileZilla Website

I've installed an FTP client, how do I connect?

Not all FTP clients are built the same.  Therefore, some will look different, but all should require the same fields when connecting to a site.  Below are the common fields needed for any FTP client to connect to CSUB.

HOST/IP: www.csub.edu
Username: This will be your NetID
Password: This will be the password given to you by CSUB.
Port (optional): 22

Can I put custom scripts on my site?

Server site scripts such as PHP or PERL aren't allowed on personal sites.  If there is a function that you would like incorporated, please contact the HelpDesk to see if there is already a script in place that you can use.

Client side scripts such as JavaScript or jQuery are permitted.  The HelpDesk, however, will not create custom scripts or debug user scripts.  Client side scripts are used at the sole discression of the user.

If there are any questions regarding the use of web scripts, plesae call the HelpDesk at (661) 654-2307.

Is there a quota to how much I can put?

There is not space quota to how much you can upload.  We do ask, however, that large files such as movie files be streamed from our streaming server and linked onto your site.  You can contact Media Services for video, audio, and other conversion options.

To find out more, go to: Media Services

Is this website the same as the one on our department site?

No.  This site is separate.  You can link one to the other if you'd like.

What is the WCMS?

CSUB uses a Web Content Management System (WCMS) for updating department sites.

Can personal sites go in the WCMS?

Personal sites can go in the WCMS whether as a standalone or as part of the department site.

Do I have to use the WCMS?

No.  Personal sites are not required to be in the WCMS.

What are pros/cons to having my site in the WCMS?


  • If you oversee other sites, your personal site can be added to your site access list.
  • HTML knowledge is not required to update your site.


  • You have to use the same template as all the other department pages.
  • Some styles and formatting are limited based on use by other sites in the system.

I have a question not address here. How do I request support?

For all other questions, you can contact the HelpDesk at 661-654-2307 or at helpdesk@csub.edu and they will be able to help answer any other questions.

Website Support


Phone: 661-654-2307
Email: Helpdesk@csub.edu
Web: Request Help
Location: Walter Stiern Library, Room 15

To find out more, go to: Help Desk