- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Campus Programming
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
Study Abroad Programs
Why Study Abroad?
- It can enhance the value of your degree; Study abroad adds a new perspective to studies. Seeing things from another point of view will help to develop your analytical and critical thinking skills. You can demonstrate these skills by participating in a research project, writing a brochure, publishing an article etc.
- It enhances employment opportunities. International career does not happen itself. Study abroad is a way to gain overpowering career advantage.
- Study abroad is also the optimal way to learn a language. There is no better way, and then throwing in the culture of the country student wants to learn.
- Study abroad allows you get to know another culture first-hand and expand your worldview.
- It helps you to learn about yourself. By leaving "safe zone" students get a wonderful chance for their personal development. The self-confidence, maturity and interpersonal skills are increasing.
- Finally, study abroad affords you the opportunity to make friends around the world, and provides the opportunity to travel.
Is There Financial Aid Available?
Many students are eligible for financial aid to study abroad. A study abroad program approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrollment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for financial assistance. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To maximize aid eligibility, apply between January 1 and March 2 of the calendar year in which you plan to begin the program abroad.
The total cost for a year overseas depends on a number of factors, including the cost of living in the host country, the local inflation rate, the currency exchange rate, the length of time spent abroad, and each individual's unique spending habits. While studying abroad, you will pay the same kinds of expenses that you pay here in California: rent, food, clothing, transportation, personal expenses, etc. It is important to study the cost requirements for your program very carefully. You must make sure that you understand the realistic costs and that you know where the money is coming from before you go, since you cannot and should not count on working while you are abroad.
Federal Student Aid Website: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international
Contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for specific information on financial aid and scholarships for study abroad.