Health Insurance & Immunizations

Why do I need Health Insurance?

The primary reason is because it is University policy. It is also necessary for your protection. In the event that you are in an accident or injured, the company you are insured by will pay for either all of the costs or most of the costs of your medical treatment. In the United States, medical treatment is very expensive. It is not paid for by the government. This is why it is necessary to have insurance.

F-1 visa students are subject to minimum health insurance requirements established by the California State University Chancellor's Office. An insurance policy that exceeds these requirements is available for purchase from the Office of International Students & Programs (ISP) or online at  Dental and Vision insurance are optional.

Due to the high cost of medical care in the U.S., all international students MUST have adequate medical insurance in case of an emergency.  All F-1 students are required to obtain health insurance that meets CSUB’s requirements BEFORE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES F-1 visa international students cannot register for their classes until they either purchase the CSU-sponsored university health insurance policy or secure certification that their alternate insurance plan meets those requirements.

We strongly recommend that this be done well in advance of your registration deadline date.  You may purchase the international student health insurance policy recommended by CSUB on line at:  If you have any questions about the health and medical insurance requirement for international students, or wish to waive the insurance requirement by purchasing different insurance, please contact ISP.

Also, California State law requires that all university students be immunized against measles, mumps and rubella BEFORE registering in classes for their first semester at CSUB!  Students 18 years of age or younger are also required to be immunized against Hepatitis B.  Please submit a copy of your immunization records or a completed copy of the “Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Hepatitis B Certification Form’ to the health Center before your registration.