At CSUB Student Housing, we strive to be of assistance to you in answering question you may have. This page consists of many question that have been asked that we hope will assist in addressing your own question. Also, check out our Contracts and Policy page for some pertinent information as well. If you still need assistance or clarification, don't hesitate to contact us at (661) 654-3014 or email us at:

Open All/Close All

How do I apply for housing?

To be considered for University Housing for an academic year, all students must submit an online application by using the CSUB Housing Web Portal. Housing spaces are filled on a first come first serve basis.

How will I know if my application fee and down payment were received by the Housing Office? Will I be notified that I have a room or if I am on the waiting list?

You can check your application status online by logging on to the CSUB Housing Web Portal. You will not be contacted by the Housing Office regarding your status. If you have been confirmed for housing, information will be sent to you using your preferred email address. This information will include the dates to log on to the Web Portal for roommate and room selection. If you are on the paid wait list, we are not able to predict how quickly or slowly the paid waiting list may change; it all depends on the number of cancellations we receive throughout the summer and fall. You must cancel your housing application using the CSUB Housing Web Portal should you decide you no longer need University housing.

Is the $300 down payment and $50 application fee paid by financial aid?

Students are required to independently pay the $350 in order to complete the online application.

Can I pay to stay for one semester and not the entire year?

The license agreement that all residents are required to sign is your contract with us for the entire academic year. If you are unable to stay the entire year, a $400 cancellation fee will be charged and a Request to Cancel form will need to be processed.

What do I do if I graduate during the school year?


If you graduate during the school year, you will need to cancel your contract with Student Housing. This is mandatory because you are moving out of student housing during the middle of the school year whereas your contract with Student Housing is for an entire academic year. You will need to complete the Request for Release from Student Housing application and submit it to the Student Housing Office along with documentation supporting your cancellation request such as a Grad Check, letter from the Registrar stating that you are graduating or is not enrolled in the upcoming quarters.

Request to Cancel

How much does it cost to live on campus?

Housing rates vary depending on the room options and meal plans you select. To assist you in estimating how much it will cost you to attend CSUB and to live on-campus, use the Cost Calculator.

Below are helpful links

Money Matter

Peer Financial Advisor (PFA)


What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is Federal law that protects students educational records from everyone which includes parent(s) and/or guardian(s) unless the student has given consent. For more information on FERPA, please visit the FERPA homepage or the CSUB student confidentiality page.

What does FERPA mean to me as a student and resident?

As a student and resident at CSUB Student Housing, you are assured that your student record is kept private and will not be shared with anyone UNLESS you have given consent. Some departments on campus have their own waiver forms and may not cover other offices but their own. Below is the consent form for the Student Housing department. Please be as detail as possible in describing what is allow and not allow to share. For more information, please contact the Student Housing and Residence Life office at (661) 654-3014.

Student Authorization to Release Information

When is Winter and Spring Break for the 2018-2019 Academic Year?

CSUB calendar for Winter and Spring Break

Winter Break: December 24, 2018 to January 17, 2019.

Spring Break: April 15, 2019 to April 19, 2019

Do residents have to move out during break?

No, residents Do Not have to move out of their room assignment during breaks.

No, there is no fee to stay over the breaks.

No, residents Do Not need to move their belongings out of the room during breaks. They may leave their belongings inside their room.

No, residents Do Not need to reapply each semester. Residents' contract with Student Housing is for the whole academic year.

Is it possible to apply for a triple room at Student Housing East without financial aid?

No, we require residents that apply for triple rooms to have some form of financial aid. We suggest all the students to fill out the FAFSA application and speak with CSUB Financial Aid regarding any questions about aid rewards.

Are housing tours available?

Yes. To see a typical room and suite arrangement, we invite you to take a residence hall tour. The tour takes approximately 30 minutes, reservations are not required however, we ask that you call ahead our front desk (661) 654-3014.

How many people share a bathroom?

Student Housing East
The shared bathroom sizes vary depending on which type of suite you live in. The ratio is approximately four to six residents sharing a bathroom.

Student Housing West
At Student Housing West, the bathroom is communal-style but with gender designation.

What are the different meal plans available?

There are different meal plans geared for residents living in Student Housing East and West, please visit the CSUB Dining Services page for more information and to sign up for a plan. Residents may change their meal plan within the first two weeks after school start.

May I live on campus and not participate in the food service plan?

The Student Housing License Agreement includes a room and board (meal) plan. As there are no cooking facilities in the residence halls, students who live on campus are required to select a meal plan.

There are two meal plans available.

Block 224 with 300 DB are for residents living in Student Housing East.

Block 112 with 650 DB are for residents living in Student Housing West.

Is it easy to meet other students when you live in a residence hall?

Absolutely! Living in University Housing is by far the easiest, most convenient way to get acquainted. Many free or inexpensive programs and events sponsored by the residence life staff and the Residence Hall Association will help you get acquainted, become involved, and have a great time.

What is myCSUB?

MyCSUB is your online student account.  You will be given your myCSUB account login information by the Admissions and Records department with your admission letter. With myCSUB, you can register for class and access all kinds of information including your class schedule, grades, and account balance, etc.

I cannot log into my myCSUB account.

A: If you are having problems logging into your myCSUB account, it may be because you were recently admitted to the university. Give the system 2-4 days before you are added fully into the systerm.

If it has been a week since you have been admitted to the university and you are still unable to log into your myCSUB account, contact your Admission Evaluator.

Can you help me find my way around the campus?

Coming to campus for the first time can be overwhelming and confusing. Here is a map of the CSUB campus to help you find your way around, along with a link to the CSUB campus map site.

Do I have to pay anything additional to apply if I am a current resident?

A: No, you do not need to pay any additional fees to apply if you are a current resident living on campus but you do need to pay the $300 Down Payment to reserve your space/room.

Is it possible for a freshman to sign up with upperclassmen on the FYE floors?

A: No, if you are not a first time freshmen, you cannot choose a room in the First Year Experience LLC.

Are there still rooms available? Why can’t I see them?

A: Yes, there are still rooms available. If you already have chosen a room, you can’t access the room selection page again unless you cancel your room. If you are interested in what’s available, but don’t want to lose your space, feel free to call the office or bring your laptop (if you like) to the office.

If the other rooms are full, will unreserved LLC Community rooms be opened to everyone?

A: The only requirements for the Wellness & Sustainability LLC (Pinyon 4th Floor) and the Sociology LLC (Pinyon 2nd Floor) are that you choose to be in those communities. They are open to all academic years and majors.

 The Nursing/Honors/Sensational Sophomores LLC is open only to those students that are qualify as one of the listed groups (Nursing/Science majors, Honors Students, or Sensational Sophomores).

 The open rooms in these communities may be filled by new residents that qualify. If they are not, we will explore opening them up to everyone.

What room types do you offer?

Student Housing East (SHE) Room and Suite Options:

Student Housing West (SHW):

Student Housing West offers only single room type and only upper classmen, graduate, and non-traditional students may apply to live there.

My friend and I would like to live with each other. How can my friend and I be roommates?

A: Yes, you can! Follow the instructions below and you may be able to roommate with your friend!

  • Fill out your roommate profile on your application.
  • You can utilize the search options in the application portal to find someone or be found.
  • You can also email potential roommate through the portal.
  • OR you can communicate with your desired roommate and select the same room. 

Rooms are filled at a first come, first serve basis, so sign up as soon as possible! Apply for Housing here!

What are my chances of getting into housing?

A: Room space is on a first-come-first serve basis. You have a higher chance of getting space for the upcoming school year if you apply and pay the application fee and down payment early when the housing application opens.

If you applied and are placed on the Wait List, depending on where you are on the Wait List, you may have a chance of getting a space.

We cannot guarantee that you will get a space but we encourage you to apply early to ensure that you will have room space for the upcoming academic year.

How can I find out my application status if I am on the Wait List?

A: If there are no available room space for you to choose when you applied for Housing, you will be put on the Wait List.

You will receive an email notifying you that your application has been received and that you have been placed on the Wait List for whichever number that you are placed. Please remember that application are received on a first come-first serve basis and that your application will be placed according to when you applied.

You will receive an email letting you know that you have moved up on the list once someone has cancelled.

If you have not received any email update on your application status, that means that there has been no movement on the Wait List.

If a room becomes available and you are up for the open space, you will receive an email offering you the open space. You will then need to respond to the email to accept the offered space.

Where is the Student Housing Office on campus?

Student Housing East (SHE) office is located inside the Student Housing Community Center on the northeast side of campus.

Student Housing West (SHW) office is located inside the Rivendell Hall.

Click here to see the location of the Student Housing & Residence Life offices located on the CSUB campus.

Am I allowed to have someone stay overnight with me?

A: Yes, you are allowed to have an overnight guest. You may request an overnight guest by applying and register your overnight guest via our Overnight Guest Registry page.

Please read and note the Overnight Guest Policy.

*All suite members must approve the overnight guest before the request may be approved by the Student Housing and Residence Life office.

Why should I live on campus instead of off campus?

After checking out the housing fees, you probably think that on-campus cost more than living off campus. Below are reasons why you SHOULD live on-campus at CSUB Student Housing

Here are some of the benefits of living on campus:
  • No commute
  • Furnished unit
  • Easy access to campus facilities
  • Faculty involvement; Living Learning Communities are available
  • Community activities and programs
  • Department of Public Safety patrols area
  • Free wireless internet and basic cable TV provided
  • Utilities are included
  • Your license agreement is for your bed space only. There are no joint license agreements and you are not responsible for your roommates expenses (with the exception of damage billing).
  • Rent is billed on university student account
  • If you receive a sufficient amount of Financial Aid, your package could be utilized to pay all of your housing fees directly.
  • 24 Hour access to support and community services through the Office of Residence Life
  • It's a really fun and safe place to live!
* Please note that we are not affiliated with any of the apartments off campus.

How do can I get rental verification that I lived in Student Housing?

A: For rental verifications, please have the apartment and/or housing manager email the rental verification form to Salina at or to You have to sign a release form with the apartment’s managing office before Student Housing can verify your previous rental with Student Housing.

As always, our office is open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have regarding Student Housing.