This Housing FAQ page has been added to answer any question you may have about Housing from applying for on-campus housing to how to roommate with your friend to finding out the status of your housing application. If you have other question that is not listed below, please send your question to us at

Open All/Close All

How much of a cost difference is there from fall quarter to winter?

A: Below is the difference in Housing price between the fall and winter quarter.

  • The difference between a double room (fall) and a double suite (winter/spring) is $278.88 per quarter.
  • The difference between a triple room (fall) and a triple suite (winter/spring) is $159.00 per quarter.


2014-2015 Student Housing Payment Schedule and Cost Sheet

Do I have to pay anything additional to apply if I am a current resident?

A: No, you do not need to pay any additional fees to apply if you are a current resident living on campus.

Is it possible for a freshman to sign up with upperclassmen on the FYE floors?

A: No, if you are not a first time freshmen, you cannot choose a room in the First Year Experience LLC.

Are there still rooms available? Why can’t I see them?

A: Yes, there are still rooms available. If you already have chosen a room, you can’t access the room selection page again unless you cancel your room. If you are interested in what’s available, but don’t want to lose your space, feel free to call the office or bring your laptop (if you like) to the office.

If the other rooms are full, will unreserved LLC Community rooms be opened to everyone?

A: The only requirements for the Wellness & Sustainability LLC (Pinyon 4th Floor) and the Sociology LLC (Pinyon 2nd Floor) are that you choose to be in those communities. They are open to all academic years and majors.

 The Nursing/Honors/Sensational Sophomores LLC is open only to those students that are qualify as one of the listed groups (Nursing/Science majors, Honors Students, or Sensational Sophomores).

 The open rooms in these communities may be filled by new residents that qualify. If they are not, we will explore opening them up to everyone.

How do I apply for Housing?

A: You may apply for housing by visiting our Housing Application portal: Apply Here!

* Please note that you must be admitted to CSUB in order to apply for housing.

What room types do you offer?

Student Housing East Room and Suite Options:

My friend and I would like to live with each other. How can my friend and I be roommates?

A: Yes, you can! Follow the instructions below and you may be able to roommate with your friend!

  • Fill out your roommate profile on your application.
  • You can utilize the search options in the application portal to find someone or be found.
  • You can also email potential roommate through the portal.
  • OR you can communicate with your desired roommate and select the same room. 

Rooms are filled at a first come, first serve basis, so sign up as soon as possible! Apply for Housing here!

What are my chances of getting into housing?

A: Room space is on a first-come-first serve basis. You have a higher chance of getting space for the upcoming school year if you apply and pay the application fee and down payment early when the housing application opens.

If you applied and are placed on the Wait List, depending on where you are on the Wait List, you may have a chance of getting a space.

We cannot guarantee that you will get a space but we encourage you to apply early to ensure that you will have room space for the upcoming academic year.

How can I find out my application status if I am on the Wait List?

A: If there are no available room space for you to choose when you applied for Housing, you will be put on the Wait List.

You will receive an email notifying you that your application has been received and that you have been placed on the Wait List for whichever number that you are placed. Please remember that application are received on a first come-first serve basis and that your application will be placed according to when you applied.

You will receive an email letting you know that you have moved up on the list once someone has cancelled.

If you have not received any email update on your application status, that means that there has been no movement on the Wait List.

If a room becomes available and you are up for the open space, you will receive an email offering you the open space. You will then need to respond to the email to accept the offered space.

How do I move in?

There are several steps that you are required to complete before moving in.

1. Apply for housing.

2. Pay the $50 Application fee.

3. Pay the $300 down payment.

4. Reserve your room. *

* If there are currently no rooms available, you will be placed on the wait list. Once there is a space available, and you are the next on the wait list, you will be offered the space. Once you accept, your room is reserved.

After these steps are completed, you will be informed of your move-in day. On that specified date, you will come to the housing office in order to complete the final steps. *A valid picture identification is required!*

1. Fill out the appropriate paperwork.

  • Housing License Agreement
    - This form is the rental agreement for the space. This agreement is in full effect until the end of the appropriate academic year.
  • Meningicoccal Form
    - This form is information about meningicoccal meningitis. This form is not agreeing to anything; it is merely information about the illness that we are required to inform you of.
  • Under 18 Addendum
    - This form is only for residents who are under 18 years of age at the time of move-in day.

2. After filling this paperwork out, you will receive your new dorm key and a Hall Inventory sheet. This sheet should be filled out before moving your belongings into the space. You will need to carefully go through the listed items and note their conditions using words such as, "Good." "Scratches." "OK.", on each individual item. This sheet protects you from receiving any unnecessary damage charges when the end of the academic year comes. 

* This needs to be returned within 48 hours to the Housing office or Drop Slot in the laundry room.

3. Once you have filled out the Hall Inventory Sheet, you are free to move your belongings into your room and begin to enjoy your new life with CSUB Housing!

Where is the Housing Office on campus?

A: It is located on the west end of campus inside the University Grill. We are in the C2 region of the campus map.

Am I allowed to have someone stay overnight with me?

A: Yes, you are allowed to have an overnight guest. You may request an overnight guest by applying and register your overnight guest via our Overnight Guest Registry page.

Please read and note the Overnight Guest Policy.

Why should I live on campus instead of off campus?

After checking out the housing fees, you probably think that on-campus cost more than living off campus.  Check out the comparison chart below that we have compiled based on the information we received from the apartments in the Greater Bakersfield area.

On-Campus vs. Off-Campus housing comparision chart

Here are some of the benefits of living on campus:

  • No commute
  • Furnished unit
  • Easy access to campus facilities
  • Faculty involvement; Living Learning Communities are available
  • Community activities and programs
  • Department of Public Safety patrols area
  • Free wireless internet and basic cable TV provided
  • Utilities are included
  • Your license agreement is for your bed space only. There are no joint license agreements and you are not responsible for your roommates expenses (with the exception of damage billing).
  • Rent is billed on university student account
  • If you receive a sufficient amount of Financial Aid, your package could be utilized to pay all of your housing fees directly.
  • 24 Hour access to support and community services through the Office of Residence Life
  • It's a really fun and safe place to live!
* Please note that we are not affiliated with any of the apartments off campus.

Meal Plan included!

Residents are required to have a meal plan.

How do can I get rental verification that I lived in Student Housing?

A: For rental verifications, please have the apartment and/or housing manager email the rental verification form to Salina at or to You have to sign a release form with the apartment’s managing office before Student Housing can verify your previous rental with Student Housing.

As always, our office is open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have regarding Student Housing.

Student Housing and Residence Life

California State University, Bakersfield
8501 Stockdale Highway - 68 SHE
Bakersfield, CA 93311

Office: (661) 654-3014
Fax: (661) 654-2491


(661) 321-6290
RAs are on duty Monday to Friday from 5PM - 8AM
Weekends from 5PM Friday to 8AM Monday