Need is calculated by subtracting a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from their Cost of Attendance (COA). Most financial aid that we award is need-based.
- Need-based programs include the following (but are not limited to):
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Federal Work Study
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Stafford Subsidized Loan
- State University Grant (SUG)
- Cal Grant
- State Educational opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
Typically merit-based scholarships and fee remissions are not awarded based upon a student's EFC or need. However, it should be noted that fee remissions, CSUB scholarships and those awarded by private donors, are all included when totaling the amount of aid counted towards need.