The following is a general timeline for financial aid application and processing:
- January 1-March 2: Complete the FAFSA on the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov for the upcoming academic year.
- March 2: Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA to the federal processor for on-time financial aid consideration.
- February-May: Once you and /or your parents have completed your Federal Income Tax Return, please update your FAFSA using IRS Data Retrieval tool. For electronic tax filers, IRS Data Retrieval should be available about 3 weeks after filing. For paper filers, Data Retrieval should be available 8-to-11 weeks after filing.
- Early April: E-mail notifications of missing documents are sent to applicants whose financial aid files are incomplete or who have been selected for verification and for whom additional documentation is required.
- Mid-to-Late April: Tentative date for notification of financial aid awards to on-time applicants will begin.
- May-July 15: Return completed forms requested by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.
- September 16, 2013: Fall classes begin.
Verification is the process of confirming information reported by you and your parents or spouse on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. Each year, applicants nationwide are selected by the Federal Central Processing System for verification by the school. Selected applicants will need to submit all verification documents to the school before financial aid eligibility can be determined.
What do I need to submit?
- Check your myCSUB Financial Aid "To-Do List" to view any necessary paperwork.
- Return this paperwork as soon as possible (CSUB Document Submission deadline is July 15th for the fall term); your aid will be on hold until these forms are returned and processed.
What happens to my information?
The required forms and documents you submitted for verification will be compared to the information reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If the provided information does not match what is shown on your FAFSA, we will submit changes to the FAFSA processor. After all changes are made to your FAFSA data, CSUB will review your eligibility for financial aid.
Know Your Limits
When applying for financial aid, students need to be aware of important restrictions and limitations. A sample of the financial aid limits you need to be aware of when attending CSUB are available in our Know Your Limits brochure.
Disbursement & Credit Balance Refunding
Once you have been awarded and accepted financial aid, and you have registered in the appropriate number of units, your financial aid will be disbursed into your CSUB student account for the corresponding term (which will occur no sooner than 10 days prior to the beginning of that term).
Once aid is disbursed into your university account, it will be credited toward any outstanding tuition fees or charges (please be aware that federal regulations prohibit us from automatically deducting prior year balances from current year aid. Thus, prior year balances must be paid by the student in cash, credit, or check). If there is any remaining credit balance, a refund check will be issued to you via direct deposit into your checking or savings account. To complete a Direct Deposit Authorization, you should log into your myCSUB account, click on Enroll in Direct Deposit, and complete the online form as soon as possible. If you have questions concerning this Authorization, or how to opt out, please contact Student Financial Services at (661) 654-3225.