– International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
– National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
Association of Wildlife Veterinarians
Council for Wildlife Rehabilitators
- International Bird Rescue Research Center
Fish & Game Contacts
Department of Fish &
Wildlife - home
Department of Fish & Wildlife
- wildlife rehabilitation section
Wildlife Refuge System
United States Fish
and Wildlife Service
Fish and Wildlife Service – Pacific Region
Raptor Research Organizations
Raptor Research Foundation
- A non-profit scientific society whose primary goal is the
accumulation and dissemination of scientific information about raptors
(hawks, eagles, falcons and owls)
Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group (SCPBRG)
Golden Gate Raptor Observatory
- Studying raptor migrations along the Pacific coast.
Ventana Wilderness Sanctuary
- California condor reintroduction, and avian research.
The Peregrine Fund
- Includes information on condors, raptor breeding, and tropical
The Raptor Center -
Raptor rehabilitation at the University of Minnesota.
Sutton Research Center
- George Miksch Sutton Avian Research Center, U. of Oklahoma.
- Monitoring raptor populations along migration routes.
United States Geological Survey - Bird Banding
California Raptor Center
- At the University of California, Davis.
Raptor Center - Based in
Charlotte, North Carolina.
Falcon Research Group - Seattle
Hawk Mountain Sanctuary
- 65 years of raptor conservation.
Peregrine Falcons of Morro Rock
- Excellent web site on one California nest by Judy Sullivan.
Peregrine Foundation (Canada) -
Includes popular webcam.
Fund - Information about seasonal
climbing restrictions to protect nesting raptors.
Owling.com - Information on the
North and Central American Owls with both biology and multimedia
Montaña de Oro Raptor Identification Tips
- An interesting page of simple tips and photos on how to distinguish
flying diurnal raptors by Freeman Hall
Birds of Prey of the World by Robert Goedegebuur
Kern National Wildlife Refuge
- Located 18 miles west of Delano near the Kern / Kings County border.
Kern River Preserve
- Located 57 miles from Bakersfield along the beautiful south fork
Kern River. The preserve sponsors 4 annual nature festivals, 2
Christmas bird counts, and many other activities throughout the year.
Pixley National Wildlife Refuge - Located on the southern edge of
Tulare County, this refuge is home to thousands of wintering Sandhill
Wind Wolves Preserve - Operated by the Wildlands
Conservancy this growing nature sanctuary is one of the largest
privately owned in the state. Located in the San Emigdio Mountains and
foothills of southern Kern County, the preserve conducts prearranged
school tours and holds monthly volunteer workdays.
- The state arm of the National Audubon Society. Working on state and
local issues to protect the quality of life for Californian's. They
also run many wildlife sanctuaries and nature centers throughout the
CALM - California Living Museum,
Bakersfield's own zoo, specializing in native California wildlife.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Affiliated with Cornell University and Audubon, the lab does
extensive research on birds and produces world class literature and
Dr. David Germano - Homepage of the
director of FACT and the Environmental Studies Area.
Joe Morlan's California Birding Pages
- Bird by bird or county by county, this is an extensive resource of
links to keep you up to date on where to find specific information.
Audubon Society - Membership organization based in Bakersfield
that holds monthly programs and leads field trips. LOCAL
Kerncrest Audubon Society -
Membership organization based in Ridgecrest that conducts research,
leads field trips, has monthly programs LOCAL
River Parkway Foundation - Group dedicated to keeping the Kern
River Parkway corridor open for use by all the citizen's of
Bakersfield and Kern County.
Audubon Society -
One of the country's largest conservation organizations. Specializing
in wildlife and habitat protection.
- Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.
Our webmaster's personal website. LOCAL RESOURCE
Tehachapi Mountains Birding Club -
Membership organization based in Bear Valley Springs that conducts
research, leads field trips, has monthly programs LOCAL
FIND FACT - MAPS:
CAMPUS... to FACT...
MAP OF FACT
Dr. David Germano is the Director of FACT and ESA;
Ms. Marlene Hensley
is the Coordinator of ESA/FACT. Students and
volunteers help in the daily operation of the facility under Ms. Hensley.