June 1, 2006
Mike Stepanovich, 661/654-2456, email@example.com,
or Jaclyn Loveless, 661/654-2138, firstname.lastname@example.org
Morning traffic controls are planned for Saturday, June 10, in the vicinity of California State University, Bakersfield to accommodate traffic to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences' commencement, according to university police.
Traffic controls will be in effect from 6 to 10 a.m., CSUB Police Chief Claudia Neal said. Neal listed the following changes to normal traffic flow:
- Don Hart Drive West will be open to traffic Saturday morning until the commencement processional starts (about 7:15 a.m.), then closed for the remainder of the ceremony (about 10:30 a.m.). Vehicles attempting to use the Don Hart Drive West entrance to campus will be directed eastbound on Stockdale Highway to Don Hart Drive East.
- During Saturday morning's commencement, Parking Lot D, immediately north of the Stiern Library, is reserved for disabled parking. The drop off point for people with mobility restrictions is the turnout on Don Hart Drive East at the sidewalk. Don Hart Drive will be closed to through-traffic to facilitate disabled pickup. Signs will be set up to help direct traffic to the drop off points.
Guests and graduates are encouraged to use the parking lots on the south side of campus and walk to the Amphitheater if they wish to avoid the large amount of traffic on the north side of campus.
- Traffic entering campus from Camino Media should enter on the Southwest Drive entrance near the youth baseball fields, turn left on Student Way at the four-way stop, then turn right on CSUB Way and follow it to the north side of the campus.
- Stockdale Highway eastbound, from Old River Road/Calloway Drive to Coffee/Gosford roads, will be closed to through traffic for the duration of Saturday morning's ceremony. Stockdale Highway westbound will remain open to through traffic.
- Kroll Way, entering campus will be closed to through traffic for the duration of Saturday morning's ceremony.
- For commencement exercises at the Icardo Center – School of Education, Friday, June 9, 7:30 p.m.; School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Saturday, June 10, 1 p.m.; and School of Business and Public Administration, Saturday, 5:45 p.m. – motorists should enter the campus from the south entrance at Roadrunner Drive off Camino Media, and follow the event-parking signs. A designated area for those needing disabled parking is at the north side of Lot I.
Reserved seating at the commencement ceremonies is provided for guests who need a sign language interpreter. Designated seating for guests with disabilities are the wheelchair accessible risers and the concrete pads at the Amphitheater. At the Icardo Center, an area is designated for people in wheelchairs and an area is reserved for those who need a sign language interpreter.
For up-to-date information, please contact the CSUB public safety office at (661) 654-2111, or go to www.csub.edu.