|May 12, 2005
Mike Stepanovich, 661/664-2456 or
Three incumbents will lead the California State University, Bakersfield Associated Students, Inc., in the 2005-06 academic year following student elections this month.
Dan Gianoutsos was re-elected ASI president, Melissa Maricich was chosen executive vice president, and Omar Correa, vice president of finance in the election that was conducted May 4 and 5.
Gianoutsos and Correa were re-elected to second terms; Maricich, who was appointed to fill the executive vice presidentís post in January when the person who had been elected moved, was elected to a full term.
Bianca Gutierrez was chosen vice president of programming.
Gianoutsos and Gutierrez ran unopposed. Maricich outpolled Lovette Mioni 438 votes to 150, while Correa received 449 votes to 126 for his opponent, Ian Anderson.
Elected to the ASI board of directors, all running unopposed, were:
- Amantha Hordagoda, director of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Valerie Poynor, director of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Orlantha Coleman, director of General Studies.
- Bernadette Madrid, graduate students director.
- Danay Sempell, upper-division director.
- Ranjanpreet Nagra, lower-division director.
- Elizabeth Altmiller, student-housing director.
Gianoutsos is only the second president to serve multiple terms. The first was Ricardo Salinas, who served three consecutive one-year terms from 2000 to 2003.