- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
Ombudsperson: Janet Millar, MA
What is an Ombudsperson?
The "Ombudsperson" designation originated in Scandinavia and loosely means "representative of the people". The Ombudsperson helps solve problems informally, confidentially and impartially.
The Ombudsperson is available to meet with any student who has a concern or complaint about the University. The Ombudsperson is an objective mediator who helps resolve conflicts which arise from disagreement and acts as liaison between students and the University.
What does an Ombudsperson do?
The Ombudsperson serves to facilitate dialogue between students and the University when help is needed to resolve a disagreement or misunderstanding.
The Ombudsperson does not impose solutions, but acts as a neutral mediator in problems-solving and conflict resolution.
The Ombudsperson will...
- Listen to student complaints or problems.
- Facilitate communication between opposing parties.
- Seek Information about the problems and review the facts.
- Mediate discussions aimed at resolving conflicts.
- Negotiate solutions to problems.
Problems that have been brought to the Ombudsperson have involved:
- Access to facilities
- Grading policies
- Disputes about fees
- Conflicts between students and instructor/staff
- Disciplinary matters
These and other issues can be discussed with the Ombudsperson who will listen to you, provide information and assist in identifying the options available to you.
The Ombudsperson Can Help.
All contacts, records and communications with Ombudsperson are confidential within State laws and CSU policies.
Students wishing to consult with the Ombudsperson may make an appointment by calling:
CSUB Counseling Center (661) 654-3366 Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.