Frequently Asked Questions

Open All/Close All

How do I register for commencement?

Students who plan to participate in the 2018 Commencement Ceremonies must register their intent by completing the online commencement registration form. Students who have an active application on file at the Admissions and Records Office will receive commencement registration information via their CSUB email. Commencement registration will begin November 2017.

Where is commencement held?

Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Friday, May 18, 2018
8:00 a.m.
CSUB Main Soccer Field 
Indoor Venue: Icardo Center

Graduate Hooding and Commencement Ceremony
Thursday, May 17, 2018
  6:00 p.m.
CSUB Icardo Center

Where do I go to line up for the ceremony?


  • Assemble in the Women's Softball Practice Field (See map below).
  • Student check-in will open at 5:30 a.m. Students are to arrive no later than 7:30 a.m. to obtain your name (reader) card.
  • Students will line up behind their school sign.
  • Faculty marshals and student ushers will lead the processional.
  • Processional will begin at 7:45 a.m. See map below. 

CLICK HERE to see map.


  • Assemble at the Old Gym (follow directional signage).
  • Arrive by 4:30 p.m. to obtain your name (reader) card.  
  • Students will line up behind their school sign.
  • Faculty marshals and student ushers will lead the processional.
  • Processional will begin at 5:45 p.m. See map below.

CLICK HERE to see map.

I have two majors, can I walk with both?

Students with double majors must select one major to walk with at the ceremony.

Where do I purchase my cap and gown?

Students can purchase their cap and gown at the Runner Bookstore:

CSU Bakersfield 8901-B
Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311

Phone: (661) 654 - 2273
Fax: (661) 654 - 6703


Regular Operating Hours
Mon.     8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tues.    8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed.     8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thurs.   8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri.        8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat.         Closed
Sun.        Closed

To find out more, go to: CSUB Runner Bookstore

Can I decorate my cap?

Students are welcomed to decorate their cap. Cap decorum must be tasteful and respectful.

Will my name be read out loud at the ceremony?

Yes, student's names will be called as they cross the stage and shake the President's or School Dean's hand.

How many guests may I invite?

Graduate Hooding and Commencement Ceremony

  • No tickets are required to attend.

Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony

  • To ensure adequate seating, each graduating senior will receive seven (7) priority tickets for the Main Soccer Field.
  • Priority tickets are REQUIRED for each guest seated in the Main Soccer Field, except for lap children under the age of 3.
  • Arrive before 7:15 a.m. with Priority Ticket.
  • Duplicate tickets will be denied at the door.

*The Icardo Center will be utilized for guest to view the ceremony in air conditioning on large video screens.

How long is the typical commencement ceremony?

Approximately 1 ½ hours for the Graduate and Hooding Commencement Ceremony and 2 ½ hours for the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony.

Where do guests park?

CSUB will provide FREE parking for guests during commencement ceremonies.

Undergraduate Ceremony:

  • Parking will be available in all CSUB parking lots. Please see campus map.

Graduate Ceremony:

  • Parking will be available in Lots H and I. Please see campus map.

How do I know if I'm graduating with honors?

Honors are awarded to undergraduate students who have completed at least 40 letter-graded units of resident credit at CSUB as part of their baccalaureate program. The grade point average (GPA) necessary for graduation with honors are as follows:

summa cum laude
3.9 to 4.0 GPA

magna cum laude
3.6 to 3.89 GPA

cum laude
3.3 to 3.59 GPA

Honor student's names in the spring commencement program are based on the student's Overall GPA and CSUB GPA at the end of the 2017 Fall semester. 

What if I have one course left to complete in the Summer/Fall semester, may I walk with my class?

Students who finish their degree required courses by the SUMMER 2017, FALL 2017, SPRING 2018 and SUMMER 2018 and have an active graduation application on file at Admissions and Records Office are eligible candidates to participate in the 2018 Commencement Ceremonies.

Students who filed to graduate for FALL 2018 are not eligible candidates to participate in the Spring 2018 Commencement Ceremonies. 

What items are prohibited at commencement?

In an effort to make commencement a pleasant experience for all guests and participants the following items are prohibited at commencement:

  • umbrellas
  • air horns
  • signs
  • balloons
  • beach balls
  • outside food
  • tripods
  • alcohol
  • bottles and cans
  • fireworks
  • firearms/weapons
  • No Smoking -  tobacco free campus

Violation of these rules will result in removal from the venue.

I have a final scheduled on the day of my commencement ceremony, what do I do?

Students who have finals scheduled on the date and time of their commencement ceremony are advised to contact their professor and reschedule their final to an earlier or later date.

Will photographs be taken of students during the ceremony?

GRAD IMAGES is the official photographer for our commencement.  Photos taken by family or friends will be permitted from their seats only during the ceremony.  Tripods or selfie sticks will NOT be allowed into the Main Soccer Field, Icardo Center, or Softball Field.  Photos may be taken after the ceremony at the reception.

Is there a reception after Commencement?

Yes, a commencement reception for graduates and their guests will be held immediately following the ceremony. 

Due to my cultural and religious beliefs, I need specific accommodations for commencement (e.g. can only shake a woman's hand and etc.), who do I get in contact with?

Students who have special requests or accommodations for commencement must contact their school directly.  If your school is unable to accommodate your request please email or contact the Office of the President at (661) 654 - 2241.

Schools Contact Information:
 Arts and Humanities
(661) 654-2221

Business and Public Administration
(661) 654-2157

Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering
(661) 654-3450

Social Sciences and Education
(661) 654-2210

Can I order my regalia and other graduation items online?

Regalia's (cap and gown) are not available for online purchase.  Regalia's can be purchased at the CSUB Runner Bookstore - (661) 654 - 2273.
Students may order announcements and graduation accessories online (diploma covers, class rings, graduation day flowers, ect.).

To find out more, go to: CSUB Runner Bookstore

Is there a separate seating section for people with disabilities? How many people can be seated with them?

CSUB Main Soccer Field Ceremony
Disabled seating for persons who have limited mobility is available at the south-west entrance of the Main Soccer Field. Wheelchair accessible seating is limited and cannot be reserved. One attendant per disabled guest will be allowed in this seating area.

Icardo Center Ceremony
Disabled seating for persons with mobility disabilities is available through the Icardo Center. The first row of all seating is designated for persons with mobility disabilities. This seating is limited and cannot be reserved. One attendant  per guest will be allowed in this seating area.

For questions, please contact:

Services for Students with Disabilities
Phone: (661) 654-3360
TDD: (661) 654-6288
Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 
                      8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 

Can family and friends at home see the ceremony? Will there be a recording they can watch at a later date?

Yes, both the Undergraduate and Graduate Hooding Commencement Ceremonies will be livestreamed.  Both ceremonies will be recorded and posted on the CSUB YouTube page in mid-June.  

Can my family come see me before the ceremony?

No. Guests are not permitted in the student assembly area.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas will be mailed within four to six weeks after the date of graduation, or within two weeks from the actual degree award date. If you want to pick up your diploma, indicate "pick-up" on your application for graduation. If you arrange for someone to pick up your diploma, he/she must have written authorization from you, and provide proper identification.

What do I do now that I've graduated?

We hope that you will stay involved in your alma mater. Please continue to update your contact information with us, especially to share your stories of success and achievement. Please email the Office of Alumni Relations with any post-graduation questions at or visit the links below.

Additional Information

For questions, comments or concerns not addressed here, please email

For questions regarding details about each school's honors programs or commencement details, please contact your school directly: 

Arts and Humanities
(661) 654-2221

Business and Public Administration
(661) 654-2157

Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
(661) 654-3450

Social Science and Education
(661) 654-2210