Self-Managed Placement File
A Self-Managed Placement File is a file that is used for obtaining employment. It is developed, maintained,
duplicated and submitted to employers by the student. Self-managed placement files are currently used
throughout the Cal State University system and are an accepted practice by most school districts.
When developing your file, the following materials are recommended to be included and updated on a regular
- Current resume
- Letters of recommendation. Suggested sources of letters of recommendation:
- Student Teaching Supervisors
- Master Teachers
- College Instructors/Advisors
- Previous Employers
- Other documentation:
- CBEST and other test results
- Unofficial transcripts
- Copy of credential (if available)
- Security clearance
A self-managed file is a tool to demonstrate your professionalism and preparedness for your career. Some
guidelines to keep in mind are:
- It must be neat and well-organized.
- Always reproduce file on a high quality copier with high quality paper.
- Keep the originals on disk or CD and in hard copy.
- Contents should always be kept current and professional appearing.
- Request letters of recommendation be typed on letterhead, or plain paper. All letters must be dated and signed.
- Never alter a letter of recommendation.
- Keep an accurate record of to whom and when you have sent your file.