Hiring International Student Assistants
All student assistant jobs must be posted for 3 days. In order to hire a student, you must complete a
position posting through RunnerLink. We will generate a Form 105 Hiring Form from your position available
form. Additional instructions and forms can be downloaded from the forms page.
How to Hire an International Student Assistant
Eligibility: International students are eligible to work on campus for 20 hours per week ONLY if they
are in accordance with the following INS regulations:
- All undergraduate international students need to register for a minimum of 12 units per quarter;
- All graduate students need to register for a minimum of 8 units per quarter.
: A student may not meet the registration requirement, but may still be eligible to work, if:
- The student is in his/her last quarter at CSUB.
- A student is experiencing financial or personal hardships. In this case, students must have the international student advisor's approval.
Documents required: All students need a social security card to be able to work on campus. When
international students do NOT have social security cards and are offered on campus employment, the students should
go to the Social Security Administration Office and present the following documents:
- I-20 form (all international students are issued this form to enter US for studies at CSUB. The form should already be in the student's possession.)
- I-94 form (usually stapled to the passport)
- Completed SSN application (students may pick up applications from the ISP office or at the SSN Office)
- A letter from the on-campus department offering employment to the student AND a letter from Dr. Magnuson, who is PDSO of the university, stating that the student is authorized to work on campus.
Social Security Administration
5300 Office Park Dr. Suite 100 (off of Truxtun Ave.), Bakersfield
Please be aware that all students are informed of these procedures at the beginning of
their studies at CSUB. I make sure all students are in accordance with INS regulations
at the beginning of the quarter but, sometimes, some of them slip through. As long as
they are in accordance with the requirements above, there is no need for students to
ask for my permission to work. If students are not in accordance or require assistance,
please have them contact my office.
Please call International Students and Programs if you have any questions.
International Students & Programs
MEC 1, Room 211
- To initiate a position posting with the CECE, departments Log in to Runnerlink and complete registration for their department (as employer) and "post a job."
- Choose "CSUB Student Assistant" as position type at the top of the form.
- Choose the amount of time you would like the position posted. You may log in at any time and pull the posting.
- The CECE office will then initiate Form 105, the Student Assistant Referral/Hiring Form. The form will be returned to the department by email as an attachment.
- After deciding to hire the student, the hiring department must fill in the student's name, CSUB ID number, and phone number in Section A and complete Section B of the Form 105 (including the verification of student's enrollment status and number of units). Student must then take the form to Payroll with their CSUB ID and social security card or letter from Social Security office that a card is being issued.
- Hiring department then logs into RunnerLink and closes the job posting.
- The hiring department must provide both the signature of the supervisor and the Department Head/Designee authorized to expend funds.
- PeopleSoft Reporting Unit, Dept. ID, and Fund numbers must be filled in.
- Student's status must be verified by hiring department and units indicated for current quarter.
- Departments/areas wishing to hire students in Class I must begin student at minumum wage. For all other classifications, student may be hired anywhere within the pay range as is justified by the job description and student's proficiency or experience.
- Student then takes the Hiring Form to the Payroll. Please instruct students to bring their social security card (required by the State and the Social Security Administration) as well as a picture ID with them to the Payroll Office.
Center for Community Engagement & Career Education Office is located in the Cafeteria/Office building.
If you have any questions about these procedures, please call Katrina Gilmore or Kathy Velguth at 654-3033.