- Up to
- __ MY APPEARANCE IS GREAT AND I UNDERSTAND INTERVIEW ETIQUETTE!
- I will...
- Wear clean, pressed dress pants, button shirt and tie or suit and tie (for men); dress skirt or suit and blouse and nylons (for women); dress shoes (for both).
- Have clean and well groomed hair and nails with no distracting jewelry such as face jewelry or dangling earrings.
- Use deodorant and brush my teeth.
- Not use strong perfume or after shave.
- Not chew gum.
- Practice good posture and control any nervous/distracting habits.
- Arrive on time or a few minutes early. (If I must cancel, I will within 48 hours in advance of the interview. I will also send a written apology.)
- __ I KNOW MYSELF, I HAVE REVIEWED THE JOB POSTING AND I KNOW THE COMPANY!
- I have...
- Prepared a resume that helps me share what I have accomplished, how I accomplished my work and the value of my experiences.
- Reviewed the position description/job posting thoroughly and I know what skills I have that connect to the position.
- Reviewed the company thoroughly and have a good understanding how I might fit into the company.
- Reviewed the company thoroughly and am prepared to share what I know and my enthusiasm and passion for what the company does.
- __ BRING ON THE QUESTIONS!
- I can...
- Share examples from current and previous experiences that demonstrate my skills and fit for the position and company.
- Show my enthusiasm for the company and its products/services.
- Offer thoughts about my career goals.
- Ask several questions about the job and the company. (Don't ask questions about salary or how much vacation time you will receive.)
- __ I KNOW HOW TO CREATE A THOUGHTFUL THANK YOU LETTER TO BE SENT AFTER THE INTERVIEW.
- __ I AM PRACTICED!
- I have participated in a practice interview using Optimal Interview Skill Builder
UNDERSTAND THE JOB POSTING / POSITION DESCRIPTION
Prior to the interview it's important for you to consider how your skills and characteristics fit the position and the company. The job posting typically tells the job seeker what the company is looking for. To be prepared for the interview you must thoroughly review the job posting and research the company. The key to a winning interview is to know your skills and characteristics in relation to the position description and articulate your skills accordingly. The best way to prove you can do the job is to provide examples from current and previous experiences that demonstrate the skills and characteristics the company is seeking. FOR EXAMPLE - If the position description includes problem solving and initiative as desired skills, you will need to share examples from current and previous experiences that demonstrate problem solving and initiative.
KNOW THE COMPANY
Not only do you need to carefully review the job posting / position description, you must understand as much as you can about the company. Spend time doing company research. Company websites are a great source of information. Your interviewer will be impressed if you share what you know about the company, particularly things you find interesting or appealing in terms of recent company achievements or positive noteworthy news items. Check out the following websites for help in researching companies.
BE PREPARED - KNOW YOURSELF, KNOW THE JOB, KNOW THE COMPANY
Being prepared will give you more confidence and will make a great impression! Remember to be enthusiastic, courteous, and positive about your abilities and attributes. Be passionate about the position, be passionate about the company!
There are many different types of interviews ranging from casual to very formal. Some interviewers will be friendly and try to put you at ease while others will be more task focused with little warmth. Regardless, your goal is to help the interviewer understand why you are a good fit for the position and the company. You should be prepared to answer a wide range of questions. Always keep in mind that you are trying to demonstrate why you fit and the best way to do this is to know yourself very well and to connect what you know with what the company is looking for in a successful candidate.
LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT INTERVIEWING
RunnerLink Student Login