- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
- Open Enrollment
- Health Insurance
- Dental/Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fee Waiver Program
- Flexible Benefit Programs
- Leave Programs
- Voluntary Insurance Programs
- Benefit Summaries
- Benefits Frequently Asked Questions
- Benefits Frequently Called Numbers
- Tax Shelter Annuity (TSA)
California State University, Bakersfield offers a comprehensive package of insurance programs. Employees who meet the following criteria are eligible to participate in the benefit programs sponsored by the CSU:
- appointed to at least half-time (.50) or more, and
- an initial appointment duration of more than six months (six months and one day)
- appointed to at least half-time (7.5 WTU's' or greater), and
- an initial appointment duration of more than six months (six months and one day).
Temporary Academic Year Lecturers and Coaches
- appointed to at least 0.4 timebase (6.0 WTU's' or greater), and
- initial appointment duration is for at least two consecutive quarters.
Eligible dependents of an eligible employee include:
- Spouse (unless legally separated or divorced)
- Domestic partner (registered through the Secretary of State process), and
- Dependent children from birth to the end of the month in which the child reaches 26. A dependent child includes a stepchild, a natural child recognized by the father, or a child living with the employee in a parent-child relationship who is economically dependent upon the employee.
Dependents become eligible coincident with the Eligible Employee or upon attainment of dependent status. Newborn infants are eligible for medical coverage from and after the moment of birth. Adopted children are eligible for medical coverage from and after the moment the child is placed in the physical custody of the Eligible Employee for adoption.
GENERAL INFORMATION - All Employees
You have 60 days from the date of the eligible appointment to enroll in a medical plan. After 60 days, an employee has the opportunity to request enrollment either as a "Special Enrollment" or "Late Enrollment" event. Late Enrollment would require a 90-day waiting period for coverage to become effective. Special Enrollments are usually effective the 1st of the month following submission of your enrollment form to the Office of Human Resources. Please see the Office of Human Resources for further information regarding Special or Late Enrollment events. Employees who enroll and wish to change from one plan to another may only do so during the annual Open Enrollment period.
You have 60 days from the date of the eligible appointment to enroll in a dental plan. After 60 days, enrollment would only be allowed during the annual Open Enrollment period.
A change in the employee's family status (i.e., birth, adoption, marriage, domestic partner, death) must be reported to the Office of Human Resources within 60 days of the event to avoid delays in benefit effective dates, including a delay until the following annual Open Enrollment Period.
Detailed Benefits Information
Systemwide Benefits Portal
The CSYou Benefits Portal page is your central portal for finding CSU-specific benefits information quickly and easily. Each benefits program website is available to help you link to resources you need, when you need them. Just login to the CSYou Systemwide portal.