MISSION AND GOALS
Mission of the Department of Social Work
The California State University, Bakersfield, Department of Social Work prepares students for social work practice and leadership at the advanced generalist level. Graduates possess the knowledge, values, and skills required to competently and ethically work with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities using best practices. The Department is committed to improving social conditions in the Central Valley by promoting culturally responsive practice, social justice, and life-long learning.
Goals of the Department of Social Work
The Department of Social Work is committed to the following goals, which are derived from our mission statement as well as from the Curriculum Policy Statement of the Council on Social Work Education. The program goals are to:
- Prepare competent and ethical graduates for advanced social work practice through the provision of content that reflects the knowledge, values, and skills of the social work profession.
- Prepare competent and ethical graduates who can practice effectively within public and private agencies where they will work with diverse populations and client systems of various sizes and types.
- Prepare graduates for practice within the social contexts of the organizations in which they work and for the changing social and economic environments in the region.
- Provide an educational foundation that prepares graduates to become aware of their lifelong responsibility to continue their professional growth and development.
- Conduct systematic evaluation of program activities and explore ways for continuous renewal, revision, and improvement.