- Up to
Mission and Goals
The mission of the California State University, Bakersfield, Department of Social Work, is to prepare students for social work practice and leadership at the advanced generalist level. Graduates possess the knowledge, values, and skills required to competently and ethically work with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities using best practices. The Department is committed to improving social conditions in the Central Valley by promoting culturally responsive practice, social justice, and life-long learning.
The Department of Social Work is committed to the following goals, which are derived from the mission statement. These goals are consistent with the Council on Social Work Education’s (CSWE) Educational Policy, Section 1.1.
1. To prepare advanced generalist social workers who identify with the social work profession, model the values and ethics of the profession, and are committed to continuing their learning after graduation
2. To prepare graduates to become aware of their lifelong responsibility to continue their professional growth and development.
3. To prepare advanced generalist social workers who are competent to engage in autonomous practice within the context of multiple systems and diverse environments, using a multidimensional perspective applicable across the lifespan
4. To prepare advanced generalist social workers who use research knowledge and skills to evaluate their social work practice
5. To prepare advanced generalist social workers to advocate for human rights and social and economic justice in the broader social environment
6. To prepare students for leadership roles in an interprofessional environment within the community